Nicest thing a JW has ever done?

by aintenoughwiskey 32 Replies latest jw friends

• done4good
    done4good

They lose their moral compass. How else could anyone accept a system that believes shunning and allowing one's children to die for lack of a blood transfusion are good things? Only people that trade in their conscience to some degree for whatever consolation it brings them would do such things. They key is to what degree. Some are worse than others, but all are affected.

Not sure how you left, but I know it took some personal hard knocks for me to wake up. I consider myself lucky because of that.

d4g

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Yeah, I know, I was talking like a dehumanized robot that does not compute the concept of human.

IOW, "it's a joke son."

• done4good
    done4good

Sometimes your wit is beyond my comprehension...Or, maybe I am just a bit slowwwww sometimes.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

I helped lots of down-on-their-luck moms when I was a dub, but that's just my nature and had nothing to do with the "religion". I found that even when I pioneered and my kids pioneered, being a single mom was like some kind of curse. We were excluded from dinners(always couples), gatherings (unless everyone in the cong was invited), and trips. If it wasn't for large groups taking the speaker's family to "hospitality" at restaurants, we would have hardly had any association with everyone else. My female children were excluded from bible studies with elders (because their wives were uncomfortable?) even though all the "fatherless boys" were put on pedestals and rewarded with special attention. We were also excluded from getting help, like work on our house, even when willing to pay for it. Had to pay worldly ones instead.

But the good part was that the obvious exclusion (i.e. lack of love) made me question what was going on with these people. So I guess in retrospect their lack of compassion was a good thing.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I know of a brother that took in a young sister that was date raped then disfellowshiped, kicked out of her house and made homeless. By the way she became pregnant from the rape and the elders knew it when they df'd her.
  • StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

When I was a kid, my dad bought a house that turned into a "Money Pit". When the friends heard about it, they decided to help out. Turns out that for a weekend, the sight of our house was like that of a quick built project. Most of the congregation was there, sisters were cleaning up, painting, and preparing food while the brothers worked on the house.

Looking back at all the years that I have been a witness, I can truly say that I have meet amazing people and have witnessed wonderful acts of kindness. Unfortunately, I have also witnessed horrible, evil acts. What really bothered me at the end was their willingness to attribute all the nice wonderful things to the JW religion and dismiss all the bad things on the human individuals.

• SoJo16
    SoJo16
    A brother from a family we knew showed me and my family around bethel when we visited once. I was about ten. I remember walking thru underground tunnels and visiting his high-rise room. He bought me some sesame snaps, the first time I ever tried them. I think I asked him an endless stream of questions. I wonder now how he really felt about the place.
  • goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

RUIN MY LIFE, RUIN MY MARRIAGE, AND BRING OUT THE CULT IN MY WIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS DUBS ANYTHING ELSE YOU ALL COULD DO!!!!!!!

• kaik
    kaik

I have a fond of one sister, that already passed away. She was an excellent cook and baker and she used to share recipes all the time. After book study, she was baking all the goodies, decorated cakes, and even made marzipan decorations. A she shared with everyone. Sometimes she just left wrapped pastry and baked goodies and they were delicious.

There was also one sister who was very well off, because she inherited a huge property in the countryside. She did a lot of field service among homeless people and poor, and was giving them food from her farm like eggs, poultry, and home-made canned products. Otherwise my KH had attitude everyone for on its own, and there was not much social interactions.

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble
    Great positive thread. I met many great people in the organization. Not for nothing a remained a JW for almost 40 years. Being raised by a single widowed mom, many genuine persons helped my mom and subsequently me. Later I always tried to pay it forward. Again, great positive thread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit