Reasons for becoming a JW?

by Dubby 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Dubby
    Dubby

I'm curious about the reasons for becoming a JW.

If you were raised a JW, were you pressured into baptism? Or were you convinced of the "truth" of the org.?

If you weren't raised a JW, what were the deciding factors? Was research outside the org. done? Were you impressed by your study conductor? Were you lonely and wanted fellowship? Were you looking for the "truth" and said HA! I found it!? Did you meet a JW and fall in love?

It would be interesting to hear from anybody that did independent research and found the WTS to be just the ticket.

I am ashamed to say that as a young man of 21, I did virtually no research at all. I was impressed by the JW's I studied with, and the literature sounded so convincing! Such pretty pictures! This HAD to be the truth! I look back and wondered why I could be so gullible. Why did I treat my wife so badly when she wouldn't accept it? She actually called me an a**hole because of my arrogance. But, I digress. People get suckered into scams every second of the day. Did we get scammed? I guess P.T. Barnum was right.

"Enjoy God's creation, ride a dirt bike!"

Edited by - dubby on 14 June 2000 22:2:18

• waiting
    waiting

Well, ok. My Reaons for Becoming one of Jehovah's Witnesses:

I was 18, fresh out of 12 years in a Catholic school. I had a horrible upbringing in my home, at least part of the time. I started dating this really rebellious hippie guy (my parents hated him - thus we became a "thing" fast).

I called this hippie guy one Sunday afternoon and he said he was going to be busy during a Bible study. Yeah, right. Come see for yourself. I will. I did.

I asked the conductor if there was a hell fire, he said no, and I was hooked, as I really believed I was going to Hell.

And the rest is history. Four different persons studied with me - I was considered a "difficult study." I don't know why.....I studied for 3 years. But like you, I did no independent research. I really wasn't that interested. I was 18, for Pete's sake!

I was looking for answers and I was looking for a new family and I was looking for security and I was afraid of Hell. I thought I had found the Truth. Oh, well. Back to the drawing board.

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline
    I was looking for answers and I was looking for a new family and I was looking for security and I was afraid of Hell. I thought I had found the Truth. Oh, well. Back to the drawing board.

Same basic reasons for me. I was 13 years old, I'd just lost my Grandma to death, my mother started studying and got us involved. Then she went back to work nights and I was left on my own all the time. I was lonely and wanted a "family" to belong to. So I swallowed it hook, line, and sinker. My Mom never finished being indoctrinated, but after a few false starts, I finally was baptized when I was 31, raised three kids in, and then woke up and saw the light when I was 40. It was a long difficult sleep and alot of nightmares!

RCat

Edited by - Roamingfeline on 14 June 2000 22:24:35

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I was 7. My sister picked up some magazines from someone doing street work, and being 14 and searching, she was hooked.

A brother came to visit my Mom and convinced her that the WT study and public talk had a Sunday School for children. Mom wanted me to have a good religious upbringing (she had been sending us to the Salvation Army, but she didn't feel it was enough.....I liked it).

I can remember sitting through that first meeting thinking that this was NOT a Sunday School. The love-bombing of Mom began and she was hooked. She and my Dad had a very stormy relationship, so the JW's were a haven for her.

I went because I had to, but eventually the programming "took". I got baptised at 13....way too young. I was not absolutely sure that this was what I wanted to do, but everyone else was getting baptised, and the pressure was intense.

I started having questions even then, but I just pushed them away and blamed myself for being weak.
    I no longer push them away.

• katchoo
    katchoo

How I Came in The Truth (TM)
    By: Katchoo

My mother was a "perfect housewife" type and my father was a shining star of the congregation, and the Presiding Overseer. I was a fourth generation witness, meaning that my Grandfather's mother had started the whole thing with the Witnesses.

I was raised strictly along with my older sister to be a model witness. NEVER miss a meeting, NEVER skip service, NEVER sleep in on Saturday morning. (NEVER eat the candy they give you at school for CHristmas and Halloween!!)

When I was 5 there started to be a lot of problems between my parents. I did not understand what was going on at the time, but it kept getting worse. My father started drinking and kicking furniture around, and my mother started taking prescriprion drugs to cope (Halcyon and Xanax-- TOGETHER).

Turns out my father was screwing the brains out of a sister he was supposed to be helping-- and his supposed friend's wife. (With friends like him.... who needs enemies, right?) During the middle of this scandal, with my father just DF'd and my mother totally spaced out, I tried to stay out of the way. My sister went totally nuts and started sneaking out of the house, doing drugs, etc. Nobody noticed me because I was the quiet, obedient child. So when I started acting funny, nobody really noticed. When it finally came out that I was being molested by a member of my family and of the congregation, everybody was shocked. People already did not let their children play with us because my dad was DF'd. Now, the elders held a committee meeting for me.

They ended up not punishing the bastard at all. nor did they send me to counseling. Instead they told me that I would have to work very hard to make up for it and to make Jehovah love me. They told me I was a very cute little girl and that I should be more careful. So they did the damned convenient thing and blamed in all on me, because they knew I could not oppose them.

That has affected my entire outlook in life ever since. I got baptized at the age of 12 (12 days after my 12th birthday to be exact) to prove to myself that Jehovah could love me and that it had not been my fault. I still didnt believe it. Standing there with the other delegates, I had a sudden feeling of dread, that I was really doing the wrong thing, but I went ahead with it anyway.

THAT WAS THE WORST MISTAKE I HAVE EVER MADE!!!!!!!

It has ruined my life. When they asked the questions, I noticed something that I had not noticed going over the questions with the elders. They did not say "Do you dedicate your life to Jehovah?" They said "Jehovah's ORGANIZATION." There at the age of 12 in the auditorium, I knew I had really messed up. I did not want to give my life to this organization anymore than I wanted to jump off a bridge. Come to think of it, that made me want to jump off a bridge.

Years and years, one (unjust) disfellowshipping, three suicide attempts, and a husband (who saved my life) later, I am finally beginning to understand what it's all about.

For what it's worth, there it is.

--B.

• Dubby
    Dubby

Dear Katchoo,

I'm sorry it was so harsh for you.
    I'm reluctant to say this, but did anything ever happen to that s.o.b. pedaphile, or ever thought of filing charges at this late date?(s.o.b. & or WTS)

"Enjoy God's creation, ride a dirt bike!"

• Dubby
    Dubby

Isn't it sad how circumstances make decisions for you sometimes? I made a decision, but some are actually forced.

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Katchoo,

I know you and I've heard your story before. As it did when I first heard it, my heart aches for you. I hope your dear niece learns from your experience.

Big hugs,

RCat

• katchoo
    katchoo

hey RF, I thought you sounded familliar :)

No, nothing was ever done to the bastard, he lives somewhere near Wilmington NC now and my husband swears that if he ever sees him, he will kill him. I have no case now because my statute of limitations is up, adn there is no physical evidence now because i was never taken to a doctor or to a psychologist until several years after the fact.

Sucks, but all I can do is try to keep them from doing that kind of thing to another child.

--B.

• waiting
    waiting

Dear Katchoo,

We aren't supposed to say this, as we've been taught, but God Bless You! I hope your name stands for a sneeze now that I've said that....

I am the other resident-of-the-moment incest survivor and my daughter was molested by a ministerial servant in a cong. where I was friends with his family. My first husband also screwed around, took drugs, etc. I took anti-depressants for about 30 yrs, off and on. Panic attacks, etc. So, I'm familiar with your situation, as many others are also. Survivors are just a quiet group in general, until they're ready to talk.

Statutes of limitations are such necessary evils, I suppose. A lot of survivors run into it, that and no evidence. Therepy, with the right person, does wonders - just someone to talk to who will not judge you, nor tell you "you shouldn't feel that way." I had the priviledge of finding a good one (after 4 semi-good to lousy ones.)

Husbands can be our backbone when we find our mind and body won't support us during different times. You sound like you have a good one - give him a hug for me.

Anger is a natural - just learning to deal with it takes time and thinking. I'm glad you spoke up, would enjoy talking with you more. You're about the same age of my youngest child. I know what it's like to be the "parent" and also the "abused." Neither one is pleasant, trust me.

Take care.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit