Interesting change

by Scorpion 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Look at the picture in the June 1, 1993 WT. Jesus is carrying a pole up the hill to Golgatha that he is going to be crucified on. Jesus has a crown of thorns and is wearing only a towel around his waist.

Now the WT decided to use this picture again in the January 1,2001 WT.
    Notice the changes. The size of the pole Jesus is carrying is much smaller. Jesus has no crown of thorns and is fully clothed.

I have a few ideas on why the change but am interested in your opinions.

• larc
    larc

My opinion,

Because the crown of thorns and the small cloth is a depiction from earlier artists before the Witnesses ever existed and they want to remove themselves from any art from another source, e.g., Catholic artists.

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Larc,

Why do you think the pole Jesus is carrying, was made smaller in the picture?

Thanks for your reply.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Scorpion,

It surely couldn't have been a cross-beam? !

Ozzie

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

ozziepost,

I am not sure if the WT is ready to get it right with that kind of new light. You never know!

• trevor
    trevor

Jesus must be fully clothed so as not to excite the strange people that read The Watchtower magazine. Either that or it is to avoid frightening the children and horses.

Any other questions? When it comes to helpful advice - I'm full of it!

• dedalus
    dedalus

It's not the size of the pole that matters, but how you use it ...

Seriously, Scorpian, this is a good question, and I'm interested in your answer ... just too pooped to come up with any of my own. Hence the corny joke.

Dedalus

• TR
    TR

Scorp,

My guess about the pole is that the pole proved to be too big for Jesus to carry, so the WTS "artists" drew a smaller one.

dedalus,

It's not the size of the pole that matters, but how you use it ...

ROFLMAO!

TR

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

TR,

You got it!

From what I understand the writing commitee of the WT analyzed a few exJW publications showing the absurdity of the picture they had of Jesus carrying a pole that would take 5 men to carry. Thus the change.

As far as the change with the clothes, look at Matthew 27:35. It says that they divided his clothes by casting lots when they crucified Him. Thus the change.

As far as the removal of the crown of thorns, they screwed up again!

It seems the WT can't get anything right.

BTW, you still getting the Revealer? This info as well as other goodies are printed in it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit