The Society loves its young people

by Omega Man 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Omega Man
    Omega Man

>Do you remember at assemblies when you would hear talks on how the Organization loves its young people. How? By publishing a book "young people ask" this would be pretty much the extent of what they would do for it's young people. It would be like a father saying to his kids I love you, here is a book how to live your life and never spend any time with them. What bothered me is the organization does nothing for its young people. I think it would have been better if elders spent their time arranging summer camps for hundreds of JW kids or large partys for kids to meet. Instead most kids felt isolated and lonely. Your social life in most cases was your congregation.As to dating once a year you had the potential to meet some one at the district convention If you didnt meet some one at that assembly you always had the hope for next year ..LOL

• Beans
    Beans

I think the congregation should be refered to as a WT concentration camp!

Beans

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

Summer camps? Are you kidding? From their point of view...if it were co-ed...things could happen over time. If it were segregated....same answer! I remember as a teenager eagerly looking forward to monthly get togethers at a rollar skating rink. Oh no, that was not allowed after a while. Now remember this was in the mid seventies. It was reasoned that ANY get together in a "worldly" environment (even though the joint was reserved just for us, it had...Oh my gosh, M_U_S_I_C). Give me a break, in our area it was well "chaperoned" and the place was reserved just for us. How could this have been a major problem? So your suggestion of a camp that would last more than 2-3 hours is totally out of the question. Uh Uh, no way!

This brings up a point I have always said. If you set out something as being bad and something to stay away from...people, being people (imperfect) they will be drawn to it. For example, I am not one for sweets...but if I am on a diet I feel like a kid in a candy store that cannot afford the sweets. Constantly setting this out there makes it more appealing, more desirable...even if this is not the person you are. If it is focused on to the extent that this is with the JW's...of course it HAS to be explored.

I feel that children that are brought up in a household that brings everything to the table, good and bad, are much better off than those that state (authoritatively) that things are bad, is a much better way to go. I truly believe in being open and honest with people, stating it, and then being there if a person makes a wrong choice. I don't believe in "demanding" compliance and then "shunning" if the person (who has human tendencies) does not follow what we demand. After all, what better way to learn than by experience?

Sorry this was so long. I don't post much but some subjects "push my buttons".

• Omega Man
    Omega Man

thats right, that was the ussual reason " bad things could happen" , you would think 5 meetings a week would make a person have the ability to not engage in immoral activity or getting drunk etc. The reality is JW's are great when controlled like at assemblies with attendants watching your moves or at the hall or small get togethers put us in large uncontrolled groups and all hell breaks lose. SO JW's are not better then others

A prison can have inmates behaving peacefully when you have guards all around

• dsgal
    dsgal

This is something I never understood about the jws.They have no organized youth groups where kids can do things with people their own age.All they're supposed to do is go out in service with adults,sit through five meetings a week,be there for the family study and tend to their own personal study.My son and I attended one congregation for over a year and he never made any friends there.All the youths seemed afraid to approach each other because a lot of them really didn't know each other outside the kingdom hall.I wonder why the society is so against kids getting together and having a good time?Seems like instead of encouraging this sort of thing,they're always cautioning against it .Wonder what they're afraid of?

• Oldhippie
    Oldhippie

Wonder what they're afraid of?

Losing control

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Here is a Link to a Thread about some of the Watchtower Society's Views on Children:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=35540&site=3

Makes me sick.

Also, this last Sunday, at a Meeting, a "Brother" gave an Answer on the Watchtower Study, and he said that Jehovah's Witnesses are not supposed to have fun (another "Brother" gave about the same answer)!

• SYN
    SYN

Of course Jehovah's Witnesses aren't supposed to have fun! They're not there to have fun, they're there to sell books for Jehovah! DUH!

• proplog2
    proplog2

Being a young JW in a small town would be very restrictive. However, urban JW's are known for their parties. The trust that young JW's have built up is almost as strong as a gang. Even when they leave the organzation they still hang out together at rock concerts and other parties.

It is just an estimate but probably about 80% of JW's kids have had sex by the time they get out of their teens. Pretty close to 100% have gotten drunk on several occasions. And some of the worst cases are Elder's children.

This guesstimate is based on the experiences my kids have told me and my experience growing up as a JW.

Kids will be kids. When elders used to approach me about my kids being unchapperoned I told them they didn't need to worry because the Angels were lurking about.

• freeman
    freeman

The Society loves its young people do they? Well they have a strange way of showing it.

Oh sorry, I forgot they did publish that AWAKE with the picture of all the dead JW kids who died after not receiving a blood transfusion. Put their mugs right on the cover. Yep thats love alright.

And of course we know the Society very much cares about all its young rape victims too. Once again that is love.

Yes sir the Society and in fact and at least 23,720 members of the Watchtower just love young people.

I understand Michael Jackson loves young people too.

Freeman

Edited by - freeman on 29 August 2002 11:41:27

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit