Hypnosis?

by Kagloo 10 Replies latest social physical

• Kagloo
    Kagloo

Has anyone got any views on hypnosis? The WT view seems to be that it is on par with 'binding others with a spell' What do you think?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Years ago there were several hypnotists going around the country and putting on shows, usually in night clubs. It was hysterical...a lot of fun. I was once part of the show. A friend of mine went to a hypnotist privately to lose weight... (they lost a little). For the most part, I think that dealing with hypnosis is a positive experience and at the very least neutral. Nobody can control anyone thru suggestions beyond what they themselves would allow. IMO their's nothing 'evil' or 'negative' about it.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

By the way Kagloo...WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!!

• BIBLE BASHER
    BIBLE BASHER

From what i no of you david i would say you walk round in a trance all the time. i changed my name from circuit underseer. thought this was more appropiate

• FreePeace
  • ballistic
    ballistic

Just to let you know, I tried 2 hypnotists and had zero success. And I didn't feel it had any effect whatsoever to me in person or in results. So I gave up smoking with the ZYBAN treatment nearly 8 months ago and never looked back, now I'm working on getting more exercise and other things in my life. I need the challenge now.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Ive read half a dozen technical books on hypnosis, written by Bandler and Grinder, and Milton Ericson.

I understand it less the more I read. Its almost as though theres no such thing as hypnosis. You cant make people dance around pretending to be a chicken unless they choose to do it. Stage hypnotists look for people who will go along with the agenda. I did get some things out of the books though, relevent to rapport, and pacing with a person you are communicating with. Everything you say to a person has an effect in their mind. They register it. Its a matter of being aware of what is being said and leading the other persons thinking in the direction you want to go (if your manipulating them) then tying their physical sensations into the purpose as well. Once you can elicit feelings within them, youve got connection to be sure.

Clinical hypnotists, of course use the rapport to restructure past events and link new reactions onto old incidents that cause pain and suffering. Hopefully, they are manipulating the person, but with the intent of empowering them , not enslaving them.

Edited by - refiners fire on 30 August 2002 21:2:38

• ballistic
    ballistic

refiners, sounds interesting. What would you say was the best book on the subject, I might have a read.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Ballistic.

Milton Erickson was a full on clinical hypnotist. Very famous for getting results. Bandler and Grinder , I think one was a linguist, looking at word structure in Ericksons therapy and the other was... I cant remember what the other was, but Bandler and Grinder started up a thing called "Neuro Linguistic Programming" and they have written many books on the subject. But these are pretty technical reading.

If you are interested in the subject and want to start at the ground floor, Id recommend Anthony Robbins "UNLIMITED POWER" , Its basically Neuro Linguistics, in a popularized form. Thats where I got into the subject, reading Robbins. Then I went to Robbins sources as I gained a grasp on what it was all about.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Cheers for that. I will def do a search for it on amazon in the morning. Right now, that clock in the bottom right hand corner of the screen has induced a comatose state of tiredness. Funny that...

cheers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit