Should I re-subscribe?

by Gopher 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher

Well, I've been "outside" for a year now. Those pesky "expiring subscription" slips have reached me.

How many think it's beneficial to have a subscription, just to keep tabs on what's going on in the WT world? (See my earlier post about "Rice Christians")

I also have found many of the science/nature articles in Awake! magazine quite fascinating.

On the other hand, the organization sends back all renewal slips to the local congregation. So if I renew, I may have to put up with a visit from the local congregation's elders, some of whom know me from when I was younger. (I just moved back across town into a different circuit.)

Any opinions?

Gopher

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Gopher,

I think if you're determined to exit the JWs you need to make a clean break.

On the other hand, you might be able to help others to examine for themselves. In this case, the latest magazines will help ou to be "up-to-date".

It's your call. On balance you might re-subscribe. What about using a Post Office box?

Cheers, Ozzie

• Gopher
    Gopher

Thanks, Ozzie. It is a "Good day" in Gopher-land. It was our first day of spring, and already it was 50 degrees Fahrenheit / 10 Celsius by mid-morning. Quite warm for this time of year in the upper midwest of the USA.

Your answer is helpful. I'd never thought about a P.O. Box. Very clever!

Regards, Gopher (Of the hidden mailbox class)

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Gopher,

If you are interested in receiving the magazines without a subscription, just try out your local Laundry mats or Doctor office as well as old folk homes. I have picked up several hundred magazines this way just last year alone. There are two gas stations I fill my vans and truck up at, and the Witnesses leave the mags with certain attendants. The attendants know me and save the magazines for me and the witnesses don't have a clue.

• mommy
    mommy

Scorpion..lol thanks I have even seen them in pay phone booths. But honestly that was a good day in field service, we would get a pile of old mags together and drop them off everywhere. No need to prepare a speel.
    Gopher I would love a subcription, and have a PO Box. You could send it to mine and then I would forward them to you, only the "good" ones though
    wendy

Edited by - MOMMY on 21 March 2001 3:53:41

• Gopher
    Gopher

Scorpion and Mommy:

What! You mean magazines actually get wasted!!?

So I could reduce the # of subs needed to be printed at Walkill by 1, thus saving paper and needless human labor?

But how do I know that the magazines I'd receive in a phone booth were authentic? What if they were "fakes" put their by Satan's agents to mislead me?

Oh, oh. Old WT paranoia attack!

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I knew there had to be an end-around out there somewhere!

Gopher (Of the looking for a better way class)

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

wendy,

The Witnesses set up a table in one of our local malls advertising the WT publications as well as the books and pamphlets. On occasions my wife and I will sit across from the table and have a cup of coffee when we have a few minutes to kill. (This was a few years ago)

I have several people that were never Witnesses ask for the free literature that was put out. The witnesses got wise as to what was transpiring, and two years ago started taking the names and address of the interested party so the Witness could drop off the literature at their home and try to get a foot in the door to do a little preaching.

In all the time the table was set up at the mall and people could receive the literature right there, I obtained over 700 books and over 1500 magazines in three years.

The Witnesses think they have the problem licked.

• trevor
    trevor

Gofer,

The way around this dilema is to renew the subscription but write clearly in the top right hand corner 'To be used for apostate.'
    research'

It is unlikely that the average JW will knowingly call to confront the Devils own minister. Hope that helps.

When it comes to good advice - I'm full of it!

Trevor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit