Get a Life!

by Farkel 12 Replies latest jw friends

• waiting
    waiting

Thanks Farkel, Interesting topic.

I think there are three overworked phrases designed to put down another's thoughts.

1. Get a life.
    2. Why don't you get on with your life?
    3. I have a life. (when someone doesn't want to respond to a question or argument - particularily when they started it.)

Any of those comments are designed to say "I'm superior to you. You are dull (at the very least). I have better things to do than to be wherever you are - and I am father along (better) than wherever you are."

It irritates the hell out of me. Mainly, because no one knows where our lives began or will end. They have no idea how far, or what we've overcome to be at this point in our lives. And we could be so far outstripping them as to be incredible. We could also be way behind their accomplishments, btw.

But usually the person who tells us these trite comments won't share their life accomplishments and are definitely not interested in actually hearing about our lives.

They wish to dismiss us as unworthy of their attention in a non-thinking way. That would be my assumption because usually they throw out such a comment when walking away or retreating.

waiting - whom some have said this because I've logged 2000plus post here and enjoyed the company (slightly posting) on H20.

Yeah, and I do have a life I'm getting on with quite well, thank you.

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

Farkel:
    i draw a parallel to watching the king being knocked over, as my opponent realizes he will be checkmated, an honorable acceptance of defeat.
    i also take it as a compliment because i KNOW, the point was driven deep. so when i hear someone say get a life, it reassures me that ive got one, how else could i have irritated them so.

• RationalWitness
    RationalWitness

Hi again Farkel. Both you AND Alan F. pointed out to me that my moniker was an oxymoron. But in truth, I recognized it myself and found it amusing. Came across this board a couple weeks ago and found it more to my liking than H2O (where I stopped posting a year or more ago). People seem generally respectful of one another here. Anyway, my time is pretty limited; don't know how often I'll post, but I'll certainly lurk.

Best wishes,
    Rational

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit