Ever Shun a JW?

by larc 29 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

My JW sister and I are on good terms, and I talk to her on a regular basis. On the other hand, I have a JW cousin who I hope never to talk to again. I have only seen her once in 30 years and that was at my sister's daugher's wedding. I hope I never see my cousin again. She is history. Any of you have people that you feel that way about?

• mevirginia
    mevirginia

YES

There is a big difference between shunning someone for reasons you are aware of personally and for your own personal reasons apposed to shunning someone only because someone else instructed you to do so and the reasons however are none of your business.

Edited by - mevirginia on 28 August 2002 0:15:3

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

My dad, his second wife and my two very strange sisters.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Larc,

Good question. I haven't yet, but there's a bunch of folks that really make my temp rise. I've been shunned I believe by a couple of JWs and that is sooo irritating. So, there are a lot of folks that I just wouldn't waste my time on. But I guess I wouldn't shun them outright as that is just too rude to treat any other person, imo.

Pat

• Larry
    Larry

Larc - Yes and it was long overdue. Here are some excerpts from a letter I wrote to them:

To All My Practicing Jehovah Witness Family Members:

I have recently come in contact with the August 2002 Kingdom Ministry, entitled "Display Christian Loyalty When a Relative is Disfellowshipped." Admittedly this article isnt "new light" it is just re-enforcing the organizations hardline position on the treatment of disfellowshipped / disassocated people. In view of the below listed quotes from the article, Im letting you know that you dont have to worry about how to deal with me, or concern yourself about being put in a compromising position because I am consciously cutting you off - permanently.

Although the article says "...Even if there were some family matters requiring contact, this certainly would be kept to a minimum" I do not even want any minimum contact with you. I refuse to be accepted on a part time or emergency type basis, either you accept whole or do not accept me at all. My stance includes funerals, financial woes, illnesses, etc.

I understand how you have to be loyal to your organization so I do not expect or want you to change, because that is where you guys belong. But as a conscientious, responsible man who worked and has taken care of my family, giving my children what I never had, I can not be in the company of people who consider me worthy of destruction, less of a person, thinks I need some type of help, or am someone who "gives himself over to sin. " I consider your company anything but "sweet fellowship." Now that I am on the outside looking in, I cant believe you guys think you are the standard of righteousness - far from it. Especially in view of the fact that the organization has on file over 23,000 pedophiles - Which is not any startling news to Elders, because when I was in that position, those situations were common, along with drunkenness, depression and suicide.

Peace - LL

• jwbot
    jwbot

if someone shuns me, I shun them back.
    Also, there is this one EEEEVIL lady that verbally abused me for a few years who I would NEVER EVER EVER talk to, she scares me. My whole family shuns her and I am happy for that. EEEVIL. she IS satan. Also her children who used to be my best friends shun me for no good reason at all, and I am starting to HATEHATEHATE them too. bastards.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

It has become apparent to me that many jws are adamant that it is their right to do as they please regarding other's - i.e. those who are not up to their "fine standards" (who they can also righteously lie to).

What words are a rebuke to those who are purposely deaf? I canot pretend that their behaviour is acceptable - in any cultural circumstance - apart from violence, shunning may be the only thing that the deaf notice.

paduan

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

Is that angelina jolie in mevirginia's pic?

if not holy cow

• animal
    animal

I shun my JW mother

Animal

• larc
    larc

MeVirginia, first off, welcome to our community. My mother's name was Mary Virginia, so your handle resonates. Second, thank you for supporting on the child rearing issue. Third, I sent you an email and it did not so through, so please e-mail me. Fourth, I agree with what you said. Patio, when I first read what you said I disagreed. After I reread it, I agreed. At my niece's wedding, I talked to my cousin, so I did not shun her, but I really don't want to see ever her again. In the unlikely chance that I did, I would talk to her. Larry, wow, that was a very powerful letter. Jwbot, I know we can be angry at them, and I have been in the past. At some point, you have to go on with life and leave them, and the anger behind. Anger, in the short run is a good thing. In the long term, it is not. All it does, in the long run, is hurt you, not them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit