memorial: how do you feel?

by unanswered 26 Replies latest jw friends

• neyank
    neyank

Hi All,
    I agree with the points brought out here.
    Jesus said Do this in memory of me.
    I looked and I looked and I can find no where in the Bible where Jesus said Only 144,000 should do this in memory of me.
    The way the WTS celebrates the Memmorial seems to put as much focus on 144,000 if not more than on Jesus.
    neyank

• CornerStone
    CornerStone

Thank you aChristian for your thoughts on the matter, much appreaciated.

Hello Ozziepost,

I reciently found a good reply to the "Where else can you go?" line of reasoning. It's not where are we to go, it's "TO WHOM shall we go to." Jesus Christ. Of the few R&F I have showed this to,(very few), the conditioned response seems to always go back to the "faithful and discrete slave" argument. No matter how much you force the horses nose in the water you just can't make him drink.

CornerStone

• Gopher
    Gopher

To "Achristian", re: your post on the bottom of the 1st page of this thread.

Seems to me you were a little hard on "QWERTY". Both he and CornerStone are going, though perhaps they would rather not. I hope God blesses them both in their choices as they struggle to find the best way to "get out from under" a heavy-handed organization.

I don't think citing "Luke 9" and "Revelation 21" was particularly helpful, or Christian. All QWERTY did was a little "out loud thinking" about what's probably a fantasy, i.e., drinking the emblems at home after the Memorial.

QWERTY and others need SUPPORT! Not to be shot down!

Please play nice on here! That's what we're here for.

(If QWERTY were actually ashamed of Jesus and a coward, I don't think he'd be out here pouring out his heart!)

Gopher

• unanswered
    unanswered

thanks to everyone for your opinions and experiences. i appreciate you taking the time to respond. btw, ozzie, i'm half way through COC right now, and while i already feel "deprogrammed" the insight on the true nature of the WT has been very refreshing. i look forward to reading "in search of christian freedom" as well. i don't feel guilty about not attending the memorial, but i think it may be awhile before i am 100% free of the WT "conscience". dark clouds-thanks for the quote,it was very interesting since for a few years now i have been studying the druid culture as part of my distant ancestry. i don't want to leave anyone out, i enjoyed all the responses, so, again, thanks to all.-nate

• aChristian
    aChristian

Dear Qwerty,

I want to say I am sorry if my post offended you. Actually, since you and I have chatted a bit about the subject matter, and you told me yourself you had been concerned about whether you may be putting family above Christ, I thought you would not be offended but read the verses as a kind reminder to be courageous for the truth as soon as you are able. Anyway, please forgive me if I came across as too tough on you. I know you are in a very difficult situation. I understand and I believe God does also.

Friends again, I hope.

Mike (aChristian)

• LDH
    LDH

Actually, the real reason I won't be going to the Memorial this year?

I wasn't invited!! No seriously, Jesus did not have all of his followers on hand to partake of his new covenant, only the 11 faithful. What are we to make of his other follwers and what they were to do on that night?

They weren't invited to even observe.

Since I honestly don't feel like I'm one of the 'annointed' or have any heavenly hope of any kind, I don't feel like Jesus expects me to be there to partake or to observe.

Thoughts?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Mike, way to go!

LDH: After I thought about it, it seems like you nailed it! After all, weren't the "Greek Scriptures" (a.k.a. New Testament) only written for the anointed ones? That's where it says, in the Corinthians, that the anointed ones are to observe the Memorial until the Lord's return. So, since those scriptures were not written for us un-anointed, maybe it's okay to feel un-invited.

As you know, this Memorial service is by far the biggest draw that the Society has. They're not about to give it up!

BTW, didn't it always seem like about one half of the talk was about why 99.9% of those in the audience should NOT partake? A lot of time for a little info, methinks.

Gopher (passing on the whole Memorial, not passing the emblems)

Edited by - Gopher on 21 March 2001 23:41:43

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit