How are the JW's reacting to the new USA gay marriage laws?

by purrpurr 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Clambake
    Clambake

Nicky

No man would ever apply for common law status.

That is the reason we have common law status.

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

I think it's about to be passed as a perfectly legal and equally binding covenant/marriage here in Australia.

Also, on a personal note. It was a young gay woman who many times over, saved my life, and my mad, crazy, funny, and witty gay male friend who gave a damn when my daughter died.

No JW stepped up to assist me, not even my older sister who wrote a few months later and said she would be happy to study with me, but that was the only condition upon which she was willing to help. When I look back on the coldness of it all.........I am truly amazed at how this religion has survived for so f&&)*)868g long.

My mad and lovely gay males friend was studying psychology and I think he is probably doing that right now as a profession.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    Clambake: You born in 1982 ?
    You will figure it out go to collect a pension cheque that isn't there in 40 years because we didn't treat unions between men and women any different than any other union.

Different countries - different regulations, but here's a different story.

Australia doesn't permit gay marriage yet (but only because the very Catholic-and therefore religiously biased- PM wont permit a bill to come before the national parliament- which is not very democratic, because polling consistently indicates around 70% of ALL Australians are in FAVOUR of legalising gay relationships).

So on with the story - my longtime friend (another XJW) is gay, after being a JW for over 35 years, he was pursued by a young man (early 20s) and succumbed to the young man's charms, letting loose his long repressed same-sex desire and was DF'd.

Suddenly the imaginary world he had created as a Christian vanished - and his family. - resulting in deep psychological shock. He gave himself 6 months to change back to being a Str8 JW or he would kill himself. Six months went by and his same sex desires were still strong. He was on the verge of suicide when a met a 30 year old guy who made him laugh again - they have now been together for near 25 years.

Gay relationships were not officially recognised then, so when he got to his early 70's he decided to retire and take the old-age pension, which he was entitled to. A few years ago, after about 10 years on the pension, the then government (Rudd's for Aussie's information) changes the rules again. Gay relationships were recognised (but not called marriage) and my friend lost his right to the pension. Why? because his still-working partner earned too much money (and, also because they were thrifty and always saved money) so therefore, now counted as a couple he was no longer entitled to a pension.

So consider that case, Clambake.

Clambake:Marriage=families=future tax payers.
    Now children aren't in the cards for everyone but that is the expection, not the rule.

I presume you meant to say, exception, not expectation.

The facts do not support your statement generally.It does not appear you have bothered to study demographic trends. In Australia, there are more and more DINKS, or at least one-child families. Without migration (mainly Indian and Chinese these days), the Australian population would be shrinking, as is the case with Japanese, Korean and Russian populations (which I study). Likely western European nations are also in this category.

The desire to use sex to procreate has lost ground to the idea of using sex for recreation. That can probably be attributed to the use of hormones (birth-control pill) to regulate fertility. My uncle had 16 kids, who would want that burden today. Women were just baby factories prior to birth-control, and had no room for anything else in their lives. Few women want that today!

So if, in a man/woman relationship, the couple decide they do not want kids, to be consistent you should advocate their de-licencing as a married couple. Is that your position also?

• Dedorio
    Dedorio
    oh yeah, it wil rain fire on these gays just like it rained fire in sodom n gomorrah. gayz must go
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Two people of the same sex united in commitment of love and respect.

This truly is the sign that Satan the Devil is active here on earth and we are living in the last days.

Curse you Satan and your wicked evil forces.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Question: Why if you see two men embrace some folks feel uncomfortable,

but let two women embrace and all eyes will be on them. You women how

do you feel when you see two women embrace??

Since leaving the cult mind set I'm happy for the gay community.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

clambacke - "No man would ever apply for common law status."

I don't think "common-law status" something one actually "applies" for...

...I think it's just something the state labels you when you cohabit with another person for a certain amount of time.

PS: Those brides are pretty.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    The one thing that bothers me of those two pictures is the woman's ears. I can't wait for that trend to be over. She's going to want to have reconstructive surgery someday.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Reflectively one can look back at all the hate and prejudice homosexual people had to endure for a very long time, mostly contrived by rigid religious ideologies structured within civilized populations.

Now its not socially appropriate to due so and even in most modernized countries there are laws established against hateful prejudices concerning homosexuals.

Has humanity really suffered from this new acceptance ?

I don't think so.

Homosexuality will probably always be here so we might accept that fact and make humanity more livable and peaceful as well fair for all concerned.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

purrpurr - "How are the JW's reacting to the new USA gay marriage laws?"

Like this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit