Abraham & Sumerians

by patio34 20 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Furthermore,

I appears to me that the Old Testement is the story of a tribe of ignorant savages with tales of myth, annilation, rape, incest, anarchy, and failed prophechy.

• aChristian
    aChristian

: If all were not pagans, according to the Bible, then why would God entrust the true story of creation to pagans - and not righteous men of the time?

Who says He did? The Sumerians may simply have been the only people at the time to record historical records on clay tablets. God may very well have always had on this earth a few "righteous" people who preserved a perfectly acurate account of history by means of another less durable medium. Written records may have been kept on animal skins or other materials which did not endure as long as the clay tablets of the Sumerians. Or their medium for recording history may have been limited to an exact memorization of historical records which was accurately passed down from generation to generation until it was finally put into writing by Moses. But simply because the Sumerian record is the oldest written record resembling the Bible's Genesis account of history does not mean it was the first historical record of such a history.

• waiting
    waiting

Why, larc, that's just what my sister told me!

However, being a jw for so long, I still feel compelled to try to put logical thinking, facts, to the Bible - being taught that every word was true. Even hanging on pronunciation for deep meaning.

Even if you look at it philosophically - the Hebrew scriptures suck in general.

Considering God's history and reputation, it perhaps would be better for him if He didn't exist. The Bible doesn't do him justice as a God of peace & love. At least not the God I was taught about.

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 20 March 2001 18:10:8

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

I agree! When we see shows or read about the ancient Celts, Aztecs, etc. who made human sacrifices to their Gods, most would agree that this is rather barbaric and shocking...however the entire old testament in riddled with extreme violence and bloodshed. Yet those who say that every single word of the book we call the bible is the direct inspired word of God to mankind and say that most of this bloodshed was done in his name, don't think twice about it <I'm not sure but I think that was a run on sentence..hehehe I hate it cause I know what I wanna say but can't always get this brain of mine make it come out on the page in coherent form!>

Eyes

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

I am so sorry! I meant to post that in another thread <I am easily confused these days :)> It was supposed to go in the thread that was discussing how violent some of the ccounts in the old. test. are!

• larc
    larc

aChristian,

All creation accounts by ancient peoples are myths. None of them are inspired by God.

• LDH
    LDH

Just a question......

Is Greek Mythology different from Greek History? Of course. Therefore, wouldn't Sumerian Mythology be different from Sumarian History?!?! And, in fact, should we believing any mythology?

Could someone please enlighten me as to who are the Sumarians, do they have a modern day counterpart?

Anton, I tried to read those links but at 4 pm my brain is dead.

• ianao
    ianao

Hi LDH.

The Sumerians are believed (by some) to be the originators of agriculture and organized living even in times before Abraham.

Sumerians had their history wrapped up in what many would consider to be "outlandish claims", and therefore quite a bit of Sumerian's written "history" is discounted as a contrived mythology.

This being so, despite the fact that the ancient Sumerians knew more of our solar system than any other race of people on the Earth at that time (at least, the people that wrote anything). And this without even having a telescope, only going by what they were told by their "gods". What is interesting is that this "mythology" of theirs is being proven as tride and true by today's astronomers. Interesting stuff, but dig too deep...

And you might not like what you find. Otherwise, this article is pretty "safe" as it is accepted by mosts scientists.

http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/4/0,5716,115354+1+108642,00.html?query=sumerians

• TR
    TR

ianao,

what...what...?

Oh, oh, OOOOHHHH! You mean....S...i...t...c...h...i...n. Yeah, yeah, Sitchin! It's interesting, Sitchin even goes so far as to hypothesize which Sumerian god Jehovah might be.

Patio34,

whether you believe him or not, Zecharia Sitchin weaves a pretty interesting yarn about the Sumerians and how they got their superior knowledge of the universe.(Earth Chronicles)

TR

• ianao
    ianao

ROTFLMAO

Sitchin! It's interesting, Sitchin even goes so far as to hypothesize which Sumerian god Jehovah might be.

Luckily, it's only a hypothesis!!! ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit