The 1914 Generation change

by Andyman 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Andyman
    Andyman

I was over on the thread about the blood policy and got to thinking how easy it is to just accept a change and after awhile people even forget all about how important it was at one time. If the society does change the blood policy how long will it be before it is just accepted, and brothers and siters don't even recall the previous stance on the issue?

This got me thinking about the change in the 1914 generation. I remember how this was a very important point when I was studying back in the late 80's. It was explained to me over and over that this system would defenitly end before the generation of 1914 passed away. It was the key point used to show me that the END was just around the corner.

I can remember to this day when the change came out. I couldn't believe my ears. They were changing something that had been preached for years, and that they used to prove that the end was close. Everyone else seemed to just accept it no questions. I can remember brothers and sisters being so excited because of the "new light". I was having a hard time with it, but everyone else seemed to be OK with the change. I thought that maybe I was missing something.

Over the last year or so I have come across brothers and sisters on the internet who are fairly new in the organization that don't even know what was taught about the 1914 generation. It hasn't been that long ago, but it seems like it has faded into the sunset so to speak.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Just curious.

Andyman:

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

While it is true that the younger generation understands little about the "generation 1914" change, they also do not really understand our present beliefs or care.

Those who were raised on the generation on the other hand know how entrenched the teaching was in our minds. Because the generation was about to reach its biblical limits, most of us grew up wondering if we'd get to drive a car, get married, etc.

Growth was phenominal in the 80's and early 90's with many pioneering. Financial planning was non-existent or very short sighted.

Many of us feel we had the rug pulled out from under us when "new light" came. The foundation of our beliefs crumbled over night. From being able to feel confident that we would never grow old in the system, many of us now realize we are going to die, and watch our parents die. This is very disturbing to those who were raised on a pipe dream.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

People don't forget Andy. They just leave and are replaced.

Look around your congregation and see how many people were between 20 and 45 in 1975. You will likely find very few. Most have come into the truth since then, or were too young to have been affected.

• Dubby
    Dubby

Andyman,

Just think of all that's gone on in the org. since it's inception. Most of us knew nothing of it until we got on the net. I got curious one day and typed "Jehovah" in the search box. I was glued to the computer for weeks.

"Enjoy God's creation, ride a dirt bike!"

• waiting
    waiting

That's exactly what happened to me! My husband and I were looking for answers in dealing with the Society's Service and Legal Dept. We hit a brick wall.

I finally decided to see if anyone had had a similar situation and what happened. I had never been on the Internet (except Martha Stewart's)

What happened??????? I just sat and read and talked with my husband. I read Crisis of Conscience and started really thinking. Reading and thinking - and it still doesn't make much sense.

The young people who are staying or growing up in the Truth do not know our history - only what we've told them. And we only tell them what the Society wants us to tell them.

We are just learning.

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Wow.. I've been here a total of what.. a week? And I'm seeing alot of thinking going on here in this forum, alot of minds opening to what information is out there. It's good to see that people are learning to think for themselves again, including myself!

I am dealing with a Brother right now who is just WANTING to remain blind even though he sees so much of this. He's on the internet, and he's read Crisis of conscience, but to him, the Org is his lifeline. If he leaves it, he's depraved and as good as dead in his own eyes. It's such a shame! This is a 46 year old man and he can't handle knowing that the Society is wrong and has lied and connived all these years. He doesn't make the connection that if the Society is wrong and is lying, then the entire RELIGION is a lie and not the "Truth" according to God's word. Amazing. He insists that this is Jehovah's organization, and that just the MEN running it are wrong or mistaken in their actions. Total denial!

• BeverlyThrillbilly
    BeverlyThrillbilly

Andyman, you mentioned that you remember the time of the disclosure of this "new light" ie. shifting ground on the 1914 date could you elaborate further on this? what were you told and when? is there any WTS published info on the subject and if so where can we find it? - BeverlyThrillbilly

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Beverly,

It was the October '95 issue of the Watchtower. Not sure which of the two that month that it was and all my old literature is back in the USA. But it gave the info of the change in the Generation understanding.

• BeverlyThrillbilly
    BeverlyThrillbilly

Andyman, as far as I can remember everyone pretty much accepted everything no questions! Scary stuff, especially at the large assemblies. It appears that the internet is something that the WTS Authoritarian structure never bargained for. Any attempts at their policing it's usage amongst the brothers can't help but bring the tenuous nature of their control into relief and hence an unexpected early demise. It's gonna be fun to watch.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Roaming,

Don't give up on your friend. For years I deluded myself into thinking that although the imperfect men guiding the organization might be wrong, the organization itself was right.

I finally could no longer stay in denial.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit