Is this the most important thread on this site?

by Mindchild 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis
    Is there a necessary shared purpose that we accomplish together?

This is a tough one to answer with a yes or no mind. I say that because we have many purposes. Silentlambs, disemination of valuable information, sharing experiences, creating new friendships...I could go on. Is this a good thing or a bad thing in regards what our porpoise is?

Does each member have an identity? Can we tell who's who, even if members remain anonymous?

Yes we do have an identity and reveal snippets of it when we see fit. It has to be this way for obvious reasons like people getting outed or possible other harm.

Are we able to share information and ideas that fit our purpose?

Yes, on many fronts and all the time. This thread is a rather timely example.

How can we build trust? What tells us that it's safe to deal with other people in the community?

The combination of posting, chatting and meeting face to face allows us to broaden our concept of who is on the other end. This kind of works, IMO, like a chain reaction. For instance, joy2befree, jst2laws, and I were having cocktails at a bar during thier recent visit to Dallas. They told me of the party at Princess' house and what a wonderful time was had by all. What did this convey to me? That I would and should feel comfortable being in said place w/said people. Oh and that LB is a scuba freak..*L* But really, it sets off a rather long chain of goodwill and the foundation for the very trust of which you speak.

How do we form reputations? What lets us build status?

We form reputations by what we post for good or for bad. It has been my own experience that it takes time to be able to elucidate your thought and feelings in a thread, before you have a clue or anyone has a clue about you. We "let" ourselves build status by the way we interact with others and are the sole arbiters of fostering community.

Have we created ways to work together in small groups?

Yes, many times. Mail outs, hosting one another's information, finding info for one another, and planning events are all examples of our cooperative endeavours.

Is our environment a shared space that is appropriate for our goals?

Yes, and it evolves just like anything else, most of the time for the better. No one promised us a rose garden.

Do we know who belongs in our community and who doesn't?

The only way to determine this, IMO, is by the answer to the next question.

What's our system of governance? How do we regulate behavior so that it supports our shared values?

Our system of governance is first and foremost the golden rule. Secondly, it is that if we are going to get personal with people then it should be constructive and not detracting. Yes very hard indeed to do all the time and in those cases where one loses the cool, then be armed with an apology to right your wrong, preserve your "reputation" and keep with the evolution of the board.

Is there a system of exchange that allows us to trade knowledge, support, goods, services, and ideas?

I think the board itself is just that, but I know what you are talking about. I was thinking just the other day about an exchange where we could list our goods and services for trade or for cold hard cash for that matter. Something that requires more input from many others though.

Are we able to express our group identity in a timely way? Are we aware of what other members are doing right now?

Yes, gathering i.e. Apostafests, marching on Bethel in Sept.., calling each other, just hanging out, etc...

Do we have ways to review our history and to track our evolution -- and leave behind what's best forgotten?

Yes and no and now my brain hurts...dam you mindchild! dam you to the Kingdom Hall!

Edited to add that my favorite pizza is alligator sausage, goat cheese and bell peppers. *L*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Edited by - Valis on 24 August 2002 11:55:30

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Very interesting Mindchild,thanks for the info .

Valis, you did a good job of answering those questions, I feel the same way.

Farkel: I LIKE EVERYTHING ON MY PIZZA, EXCEPT MUSHROOMS!!!!

( just wanted to say it loud enough so you will remember I answered ya!)

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Mindchild,

Thank you so much for this valuable information. I have printed it and will leave the board for awhile until I can read it through all the way and then comment later.

Karen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit