we were soldiers

by heathen 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• heathen
    heathen

Any one else seen this one?.I thought it was very good about viet nam with mel gibson.The horror of war and the the display of brutality was very realistic .Just wondering if any viet nam vets experieced anything close what was portrayed in this community.

• mike047
    mike047

Heathen, I am a multi-tour Vietnam vet. I have not seen the movie yet,but will probably rent it soon. I will let you know.

MIKE

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I haven't seen it yet...what did you think of it heathen? I have seen so many war movies that I have had war movie overload...I think Black Hawk Down was the last war movie I saw.

How do you rate 'We Were Soldiers' out of 10? I love movie reviews...and book reviews.

I know a vietnam veteran who won't watch ANY war movie...he is saddened to see ones like ourselves watch them...he cannot understand our need to be entertained by something real to him but still 'hollywood' to us.

Beck

• Mac
    Mac

watching it tonight , Heathen.

• heathen
    heathen

I've seen black hawk down ,I did give it thumbs up but compared to what I think was far more realistic in we were soldiers not as good .If you like war movies with mel gibson I recommend we were soldiers and galipoli .

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

I just saw the movie the other day. If you watch the DVD version you can see the making of this movie and realize that they wanted it as realistic as possible. Needless to say this movie is brutal and dirty. I would give it a 9.4

• heathen
    heathen

I thought the only thing that could have been better was the music score ,but it was clear they were going for the drama ,I mean people did listen to rocknroll in the sixties but all we get is some kind of violin music.

• jelly
    jelly

This movie was excellent. It did a good job of portraying the soldiers on both sides as human beings and told the story of solider with out any political overtones. My father was in Vietnam in 1968/69 and has told me that every movie on Vietnam has missed the mark wildly. Either they were simply sterilized versions of what happened (the green berets), exited reality completely (Apocalypse now), or simply focused on the worst units with the lowest moral (Platoon).

I would give this movie a 9 out of 10. It was better than Blackhawk down (which I also liked). Also I believe they scored the movie the way they did to go for a more serious atmosphere.

Jelly

• mike047
    mike047

The battle portrayed was an actual event. LtCol. Moore was an actual commander. The movie was VERY realistic. The event as portrayed were larger than life to me. I threw up during it... One of the closing comments was the whole point of the movie for me...I can't remember the line exactly, but was something to the effect...That the soldiers eventually ended up fighting not for God or Country but as a brotherhood to survive. Too many did not come back.... alive or to live. I am absolutely terrified of seeing the "WALL", maybe some day.

GOOD accurate movie.

MIKE

• heathen
    heathen

Mike you say you literally threwup ,wow I could have never imagined a movie having that kind of impact .I just wonder how many vets would actually watch a movie depicting that kind of realism by special effects and be emotionally tramatized.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit