JW's and Violence

by TD 15 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

My wife and I have recently gotten hooked on The History Channel's series, Vikings. (My wife is full blooded Norwegian....)

To be honest, the show is quite graphic in spots, but certainly no more so than a history book I own of the same time period.

Anyhow, we made the mistake of mentioning the show if front of JW's last night and they were all thoroughly shocked that we watch it.

I tried pointing out that big chunks of the OT are not materially different and that even the confrontation between David and Goliath would get an 'R' rating if it were visually portrayed in any detail at all. (I really should know better by now...)

I don't remember JW's in the past being quite so hypocritical on violence shown for the sake of historical accuracy.

Have I just missed that? Have they always been this way?

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Have they always been this way?

I believe their shock comes from having a superior attitude. Witnesses will find fault with anything, even when they are guilty of the same thing themselves.

Your point about violence in the OT was absolutely right, and a good thing to bring up in my opinion.

• WasOnceBlind
    WasOnceBlind
    If they were to make a movie about the OT it would most like be Adult Only! Incest, rape, genocide, etc.
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila

Only since 1914!

• TD
    TD

Only since 1914!

I don't get it...

• Twitch
    Twitch

I'd say it's likely denial and a "head in the sand" mentality when confronted with the actual visuals that go along with the reality of what happened historically and what they hope to happen, albeit even by god's hand indirectly

• flipper
    flipper

If they were to make a movie about the modern day WT Society and the organization it would include the murder of men, women, and children for not taking life saving blood transfusions on the orders of WT leaders, the toleration and hiding of felony child abuse on the orders of WT leaders, Malawi citizens being massacred for not signing a political party card on the orders of WT leaders, yet Mexico JW men being allowed to serve in the military service without WT leaders batting an eye on their orders, JW families being instructed to shun any family members or friends who disagree with the WT organization and called " mentally diseased " - all on the WT leaders orders.

Like Scenic Viewer hitting the nail on the head said, " I believe their shock comes from having a superior attitude. Witnesses will find fault with anything, even when they are guilty of the same things themselves. " Exactly. No truer words have ever been spoken

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Anyhow, we made the mistake of mentioning the show if front of JW's last night and they were all thoroughly shocked that we watch it.

Don't know if they were fanatical or histrionical. Personally, I do not like when someone tells me what I can watch in private, and I get annoyed when someone reacts or becomes offended at something that I choose to do, so I keep what I do in private to myself. However, I have become very sensitive to shows that show violence, specially those that depict graphic violence and news about children getting hurt, etc. I could not watch something like that. But, those viking documentaries were great. I loved watching them.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    I don't remember JW's in the past being quite so hypocritical on violence shown for the sake of historical accuracy.

It's down to individuals. I wouldn't imagine it's a particular trend. However, they should be used to inappropriate imagery....just look at what's in the publications!

Image result for violent images jehovah witness publicationsneed I say more, squire?Image result for violent images jehovah witness publications

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Hi TD.... I agree that its an individual dubjie thing but i have long noted in my area that they will condemn a paper cut on a tv show and cheer when david cuts 100 forskins off of his slain enemies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit