Do You Still Think In Illustrations?

by ISP 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

I still do! For example I might be at work discussing something with colleagues and then come out with an illustration...'Its just like...etc.' They then look at each other thinking what on earth am I on about. But when I was a dub illustrations were cool! You would try and use them as much as you could. Often you would think them up for a talk...and often they were simply garbage but would nevertheless they would go down well! Do you have a dub carry over of thinking in terms of illustrations? Ever come up with a completely whacky illustrations when you were a dub?

ISP

• Simon
    Simon

I use them all the time. They come in useful trying to explain programming to non-believers (lol) - the common one is 'it's like building a house'

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I still think with illustrations, since a good deal of my job involves training. I still find it the most effective way to break down a concept. It's just prone to being overdone in a forced JW environment.

The funniest illustration that I heard about, and was tempted to use, was for talk 13 "A Godly View of Sex and Marriage". Alledgedly a guy in the NY State gave an indepth illustration of how different people like their hamburgers different ways, some with mustard, some with ketchup, etc. His punchline was "And sisters - you know I'm not talking about hamburgers, don't you?".

• battman
    battman

i prefer mayo!!!

battman

• Matty
    Matty

Oh, lord. I do this all the time in my job as well! I didn't know I had a problem until now, thank you ISP!

I'm like the one looking at my natural face in a mirror, I look at himself, and off I go and immediately I forget what sort of man I am!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Battman:
    You're just kinky

Matty:
    Good to see you around. Will you drop me an email sometime to let me know how you are doing? I'd like to hear how you are getting on, and I understand that we have some mutual friends.

• ISP
    ISP

Battman...you good buddies with Robin..?

ISP

• ISP
    ISP

Matty, regards also. I sent you an email the other day. Hope things are good!

ISP

• SYN
    SYN

Simon: No, programming is more like a Quickbuild.... Well, a Quickbuild SKYSCRAPER LMAO

• BadJerry
    BadJerry

Use alot of metaphors - is that the same thing????? My software dev team usually goads me into telling stories when they need a break. I think they're trying to keep my hands out of the code, but then, I'm a much better story-teller than "coder". Even I know that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit