Help, Help,Help

by Jesika 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Jesika
    Jesika

Ok, I usually don't write very long posts but I need to say something I feel is important. I just got back from seeing my lawyer today and was inspired and at the same time disgusted. In the state of TX the stat. of limitations is 2yrs after you turn 18 to report sexual abuse. I think this is insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about the people with supressed memories or the ones who are still in the borg that are afraid and don't have the courage to come forward untill many yrs later?

What I want to do is maybe find sexual abuse suvivors/victims in Tx and maybe start up a support group solely for abuse. I have been out 11yrs and have no interest in discussing doctrine or whether or not I should celebrate Christmas. There is nothing wrong with that, don't get me wrong, but abuse is a whole other ballpark.

I also what to see if I can get enough people in Tx to at least write a letter that I can present to possibly change the limitations. California has extended it 10yrs and Minnesota is pushing to erase limitations on sexual abuse completely. How do I find these people, some if not most are still on the "inside" and are told not to read apostate material or look places like this one. I need you guys help for ideas on how to get this out or if you know someone to please put them in contact with me to talk. I want to change this soooooooooooooooo bad for those who wil come after me and hope that I can at least give them more time to do something about it. If I can get enough people in Tx to come forward on the basis that it isn't enough time because of reasons of mind control or memory repression than I think I will at least be heard.

What is your input?????? Do you know anyone in Tx or how I can get JW's to possibly see there is another way and it can make a difference??? I thought about maybe putting it on a billboard by the highway or on the side of a bus, so that way they can't ignore it and maybe there are victims who just don't know who to talk to see the ph# and just might call!!!!!!!!!!!!

Input needed----------thanx

Love Jesika

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Jes,

Is this stat of limitations only to press legal charges? Couldn't you still go ahead and sue that person anyway??

Will

• LB
    LB

Wish you the best Jesika. The side of buses is a good idea. I would think that there are support groups locally that you could get in touch with. Perhaps that would be a good place to start. Many times such support groups are held at hospitals. Give one a call. Or contact a crisis center to get some imput.

• Solace
    Solace

Jesika,

That is so sad. You have given very good examples of why that law should not be utilized in these types of situations. Unfortunately Im nowhere near your area but I hope you find the support you need. It is such an important cause.

Edited by - heaven on 20 August 2002 17:42:29

• Liberated
    Liberated

I'm as appalled as you are about the statute of limitations. It's outrageous.

Could you maybe go through silentlambs? There maybe some near you who visit that website.

Libby

• Jesika
    Jesika

Will----------you could probably sue, but what is the point? If they have no money then you go through all the feelings again for nothing. I myself would rather them have to go to jail and know what it is like to say no and the other person does it anyway.

LB-------thanx for the advice my aunt who is on silentlambs all the time is on the horn already looking for support groups locally to see what we can find. I posted on silentlambs and women-awake with this same post. Covering all bases or at least trying to.

Heaven and Lib-----thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Jesika, find out who your state representative is and call or write him. Write letters to all the editors you can expressing your dismay and outrage at such a limitation. You needn't metion the JWs, just your outrage over such a limitation. Maybe even print up some handbills and hand them out around town.

It will take time and work, but laws can and are rewritten. One local cahier was successful in having the driving age limit raised after her 14 year old grandson was killed as a passenger in a car driven by a new 16 year old driver. Your cause is even more needed than hers. But, it shows it can be done.

Best of luck. If you are near Dallas, email me. I have a daughter that lives in Little Elm and works for a Law Firm in Dallas. She might have some legal advice or more knowledge of matters there than I do. I'll put you in touch with her (never was a JW either, but not to fond of them either).

Lew W

• Jesika
    Jesika

DakotaRed----you have mail.

• ISP
    ISP

Hi Jessica,

In the UK, limitation is for civil cases. There is no limitation on criminal matters. You abuse someone 20 years ago....you can still go to jail. However, pursuing a civil case here would be limited to 3 years from your date of knowledge. Your date of knowledge maybe many years after depending on the circumstances. What sort of case are you pursuing?

ISP

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Jesika, I alked to her on the phone just now. She is waiting on your email. But, her first advice was the same as mine, get a hold of your State Representative first. SHe also said she would ask some of the attorney's she works with.

If you haven't already emailed her, go ahead. She is expecting you.

Lew W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit