Hollywood Therapy

by Cicatrix 14 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Hi All,

Okay,hittin the wall now.The downs are more common than the up days at this early point.I read about post cult trauma syndrome, so I understand now why I feel numb, then angry,then weepy all in a nanosecond, like I'm gazing out of a fishbowl at a distorted world,why I'm having nightmares about congregation members.Why my brain feels like a fried egg.Why I want to run back to the only life I've known for 20 years, even though the thought of stepping foot inside of a kingdom hall causes me to panic.

Sooo, can anyone recommend any good movies to rent to help me process some of this?

I watched Matrix twice,after I saw it mentioned on the discussion board.Wow!How chilling.It's funny-I watched this movie while still a wavering dub and it disturbed me.Now I know why.

I also like Chocolat, The Scarlet Letter (I'm sending my DA letter in a RED envelope hehe), and The Wall(plan to rent this again ).

I'm reading 1984.

I know I probably shouldn't be so focused on this-I need to start getting out there and finding the positive,and some days I manage to do that, but right now I seem to have a need to try and make sense of it all.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks,

Cicatrix

PS what exactly does dub stand for, anyway?hehe I'm such a neophyte

• outnfree
    outnfree

Cic --

You might also want to rent "Truman".

"Dub" stands for Jay DubbleYou (JW), get it now?

Best,

out

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

"The Shawshank Redemption"

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Thanks,Out.
    I forgot about Truman.
    LOLOLO JDub aYewwww!Thanks for the definition explanation.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

MegaDude,

Wow-talk about synchronicity!My daughter just rented Shawshank Redemption last weekend.She asked me what it was about, but I couldn't remember.Only remembered that it was extremely good.I'll rent it again now.

Thanks

Cic

• Liberty
    Liberty

Hi Cicatrix,

You are suffering because you have been terrorized for years by the Watchtower Society. They depend on emotion to control you so you need to counter this with cold hard logic. You are on the right track watching movies about free thinking and awakening from thought control. Reading 1984 is a great healing experiance as well. I would also highly recommend a crash course in science whether on your own or at a university/college.

The Watchtower hates science so this should give you a clue as to how important it is to your recovery by replacing emotion and superstition with logic and reality. Carl Sagan was a great science writer for the non scientist. Watch his Cosmos series and then read his books. After some Sagan and a basic knowledge of scientific method you can attempt some Stephen J.Gould. You must create a new Cosmology to replace the bogus world view imposed upon you by the Society. In the real world the prevailing Cosmology of science and reason will melt away the superstition and ignorance which allows the Watchtower to control you.

You need a whole new world view to fully escape the power of the Tower and science and reason are the foundations of this new Cosmology. As you understand science and reason all your fears and subconscious turmoil can be delt with openly, honestly, and many will just fade away. What is terrifying now will become silly and irrelavant. Ask yourself , why does the Society demonize science, idependant thinking, evolution, higher learning, and observing things and coming to your own conclusions? The answer is clear, because it deminishes their power over their victims who are trapped in the Watchtower's complex and twisted self serving world view, JW Cosmology.

Edited by - Liberty on 20 August 2002 10:22:34

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Thanks for the insight, Liberty.I never thought about the science issue before.I'll check into some Carl Sagan.I've always loved science, but know little about it.

I'm actually in college working on a degree in secondary education.I'm on break right now, though,so don't have that counterreactor right while I'm trying to make it moment to moment.I go back next week,so things will hopefully improve somewhat.I'm kind of concerned about how dealing with the leaving the WTS issue will effect my concentration.

I tried to take some science courses this semester, but they wouldn't fit into my schedule.Hopefully next semester I can get one in.

In the meantime,I'm going to print out your succinct post so I have it handy.I've asked myself most of the questions you posted.Just forgot to remember the answer:)

Thanks again for taking the time to post.It really helped.

Cicatrix

• Liberty
    Liberty

Always keep in mind that you are not alone in your fears and feelings as all of us ex-Dubs know what you are going through. Even after we discovered that we no longer could be associated with the Watchtower Society we held on to our beliefs and guilt about Armageddon, demons, the killer god Jehover, sin, salvation, the Bible and a whole host of things that gave our world meaning while at the same time terrifying us. You must experiance the truth about the reality of these things on your own. Looking at the world from another point of view will help you formulate a new Cosmology without relying on the Society . They want you to feel alone and to be frightened with only their world view so you will come back to them. Be sure you have built a vantage point from which to view your real options before making any more choices. Despite what they say you do have real options and other choices.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Hi Cicatrix.

In reading your post I recognize the feelings you express. Had the same when I walked and was df'd.

You have gotten some good advice from others already. I would like to add that even though it may feel overwhelming now, it will not last forever. It will take a period of time to get over the feelings of confusion etc. Live your life and pursue your education and have some fun. Make these goals in your life.

Since it took some time to get in this situation it will take some time to get over it. But be assured that you can and will see all this confusion fade away. Never think that it is hopeless..For me it was a great help to read the posts here that logicly pointed out the wrong ideas and beliefs in the wbts. I read these over and over again so as to destroy the false ideas implanted in my mind by this cult.

For me it was more effective to stick to the issues such as the many changes in blood policy and in the organ transplant policy and the military service policy, the disasterous effect of dfing on families marriages and individuals and the many changes back and forth in wbts policies and beliefs. For me these were no brainers. To delve into the various interpretations of bible teachings such as trinity, hell, etc. is for me at least, a more time consuming mental effort than I wanted to put out a that time.

Wish you all the best things that your new life will bring to and offer you.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I have to second Liberty's advice. "The demon haunted world" is a good one, and I think that is the book where Sagan gives JW's a special mention.

Also, don't forget that attitude is everything. Part of it is just up to you, what are you going to do with your new, much clearer perspective. E-mail me for details, I had a stunningly easy time of dropping everything I ever believed in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit