Birthdays & the Cult of the Diminished Indi...

by joelbear 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Jigrigger
    Jigrigger

: "Yes, and as I've already pointed out, the WTS is wise to ban birthday parties because even when children have them, one risks a more-than-normal chance of a beheading at those events which tends to somewhat spoil the festivities."

But Farkel, those heads look so sharp when they put 'em on the shiny platters, don't ya think?

Joel: Happy belated B-Day

Jrig

Edited by - Jigrigger on 20 August 2002 12:16:27

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOEL!!!...OUTLAW

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOEL

Very good insight on Birthdays and loss of recognition of the individual. I never thought of it quite that way before.

Free

• larc
    larc

Matty, when did they ban birthdays and birthday cards? My memory of the WT goes back to 1945, and I do not remember any of the birthday stuff.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I agree that the "sublimation of the individual" is one of the real reasons for the birthday ban. The scriptural basis is nothing more than transparent justification.

Another reason is to create feelings of isolation in children. Birthdays and holidays are big parts of school life, as are sports, dances, and other activities.

If you take these things away from kids, they feel isolated from worldly people and have no choice but to draw closer to those who are isolated like them.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Another option would be to keep the "reasons" for family and friend gatherings as taboo by attaching something evil to their meaning. That way shunning is easier as there would be less of a chance of having a weak moment for a phone call, visit or a card, which could open the door for a rekindled relationship like say between mother & daughter on mother's day, or a close friend's birthday. The ready made excuse to turn down outside association.

Too bad they can't see that they themselves practice idolatry to the enth - worship the symbol for life at the same time the actual life of a loved one is cast aside as they eat their bloody steak.

Oh, and Happy B-day Joel.

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

i never really understood the anniversary thing being ok to celebrate but not birthdays.

Because birthday means an anniversary of this day.

• BadJerry
    BadJerry

Does that mean I get a birthday party??????????

And will I be able to request 12 extra presents from everyone for each year we didn't ...oh, maybe at least two extra??? And for all you WTSpies - I don't need any more "stinkin' books"!

BadJerry

• Faraon
    Faraon

Minimus,

BUT 2 PEOPLE GOT KILLED ON THEIR BIRTHDAYS!!!

Actually, they got killed when someone else was celebrating their own birthdays.

Pharaoh (my nickname in English) was pissed at both of them, probably planning to kill them both. The head butler was saved because of his forgiveness on his birthday. The baker was not.

In the case of Herod, he was aready pissed at John for messing with his sex life. he did not behead John because of his birthday, but because of a promise he made to his niece.

Hey, but let's take a look at how many people DO NOT get killed when someone else is celebrating their birthdays. The odds are in your favor if you DO celebrate your birthday or go to someone's birthday!

Following this logic, I would like to know how many people get killed on their way to a dub meeting, in the dub meeting, or returning from a dub meeting. If more than two, odds are in your favor and I can say that going to dub meetings should be forbidden because more than two people died in them.

I am sure that more people get killed on days that are not their birthdays, than on their birthdays.

Rene

• nancee park
    nancee park

Job 1:3, 3:1-3 show Job's kids celebrated birthdays if you read all
    3 verses to see day of birth is meant. At Luke 2 angels themselves celebrated
    Christ's birth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit