To censor or not to censor...

by Elsewhere 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Simon, very true! But it would be nearly impossible to regulate this forum to that extent (JWCC)... that's why I like the idea of being able to "ignore" given users.

Don't like someone? Ignore 'em! One can always turn the ignore off later.

• Simon
    Simon

I know it was an extreme example - I was just trying to illustrate the point that while we want freedoms and want to have freedoms there are idiots about that mean that in practice this is not always possible. However, the limitations we impose (not just talking about online stuff here) do not generally impinge upon normal, decent folk who do not want to push these boundaries.

The difficulties arise at where this boundary is put and who's 'sensibilities' are used to decide it.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

JC:

You have missed the point. If the action infringes on your rights, its wrong.

If you are expressing "thoughts"and differing viewpoints from that of the "pack," then any rules should be at least applied fairly.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

JC,

If [a writing] be false in its facts, disprove them; if false in its reasoning, refute it.

Look at me, quoting Thomas Jefferson like he's Jesus Christ!!! (Oops! Did I make a funny?)

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Simon:

""The difficulties arise at where this boundary is put and who's 'sensibilities' are used to decide it.""

I agree and I dont envy you! hehe

• minimus
    minimus

If someone has their OWN board, they can do anything they like. Simon, maybe you could give info on how to get your own board started.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Many people tend to forget that Freedom of Speech is there to protect UNPOPULAR speech, as popular speech inherently does not need protection.

• Simon
    Simon

Ok, first you need a lobotomy ...

• Simon
    Simon

oops ... that was to the "how to start a forum", not you Elsewhere !

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

LOL... I bet you're right! Either one is crazy to start a forum, or the forum will drive one nuts!!! Either way, you end up with the Special Cut.

You have my sympathy Simon!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit