The "Friends"

by El Kabong 15 Replies latest jw friends

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

OK, I've been out of the <ahem> "Truth" for some time now. But, someone asked me a question the other day that I really don't know or remember the answer to.

Why do JW's refer to each other as "The Friends". For example, I often heard witnesses say something like....."We got together with some of The Friends from New York after the convention".

I understand calling each other Brother or Sister, but why "The Friends". When did this start?

Can anyone shed some light (old or new ) on this? Thanks.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Don't Amish people do this too?

I dunno, I never understood that either, probably has something to do with agape or something...where is that greek boy when you need him?

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I think it had something to do with identifying each other during the wars years and in times of persecution.

the true Friends of Christ are the Quakers.

• Lieu
    Lieu

We copied it from the Quakers. We copy everything, you know....and then we tell the originators that they are evil and will be destroyed.

• libra_spirit
    libra_spirit

Don't know when it started but I do know it goes back to before I was born in 1954. My mother and dad used the term as far back as I can recall. They used it when telling those old stories about driving out to NY in an old model A.

• dsgal
    dsgal

I don't know why they say "the friends" because I sure never had any friends there.

• footprints
    footprints

Jesus said at John 15:14 "You are my friends if you do what I am commanding you" By using the term "the friends" they are trying to say that Jesus views them as his friends. What they forget is that Jesus and Jehovah do not have anything to do with liers and child molesters.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS says they base it on this scripture.

3 John 14 ***
    14 But I am hoping to see you directly, and we shall speak face to face. May you have peace. The friends send you their greetings. Give my greetings to the friends by name.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Because that's how they talked in 1880's Pennsylvania. You know, the place and time paradise will be modelled on.

Expatbrit

• comforter
    comforter

no wonder you people stumbled outta da truth. only one person on this thread know why jw call each other "friends." this stuff is basic jw 101.

comfy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit