Keep following our stupid rules - God requires it

by dmouse 24 Replies latest jw friends

• twain30
    twain30

Faith must be based on something-that something is reason. If its not based on something reasonable how can it be faith? Seems to me Jesus said something about a house built on a rock-mass as opposed to one built on sand.

If the society can't explain something reasonably then they should say that they don't understand that particular point right now, or say nothing, NOT: Go along with us even though we can't explain it to you in a logical way.

• stichione
    stichione

What's incredible is that this is a WT study article. The Dubs will put up their hands and faithfully anwer these words. Sadly, the great majority will not realize this is typical cult indoctrination and intimidation. I also agree, they must be preparing the masses for something.

• Swan
    Swan

Xander, YES! I wonder too. I doubt it's good. I just hope it isn't koolaid.

• Solace
    Solace

Dmouse, Thanks for keeping us posted. My subscription ran out quite awhile ago and I had no idea what was being taught to my family. Unfortionatly, I can see things havent changed much over the years.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Page 16 para 20

Strong faith, in turn, fortifies us to obey Jehovah, even when his requirements seem to go contrary to human reasoning.

How did they word the question for this paragraph?

(WT corn-ductor) "The question for paragraph 20 asks, what can help us to keep accepting this quasi-religious nonsense...er...I mean, what can help us to obey Jehovah, even when we blah blah blah..."

I may just sneak into a KH somewhere just to hear this WT study. Good for some laughs. What week is this the study article for?

Edited by - dantheman on 15 August 2002 22:1:16

• Swan
    Swan

In thinking on this further, it seems to parallel what went on in the early 1920's after 1914 and the 1980's after 1975 as reported on in Ray Franz' Crisis of Conscience. Maybe they are trying to damage control after changing the definition of a "generation." Maybe this is a form of intimidation that they are using.

• minimus
    minimus

in other words, even if something makes no sense whatsoever, ignore it and don't think about it.Just DO what we tell you. We will think for you since we know better. After all , we are the discreet and wise slave.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

"That night the Christians hurried Paul and Silas to Beroea, and, as usual, they went to the synagogue to preach. But the people of Beroea were more open minded than those in Thessalonica, and gladly listended to the message. They searched the Scriptures day by day to check up on Paul and Silas' statements to see if they were really so."-Acts 17:10,11

Time was when questioning, even an Apostle, was considered a good thing.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

If they start passing out Kool-Aid, don't drink it.

• Scully
    Scully

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=23667&site=3

***w02/04/01 Should Faith Be Based on Reason?***

Should Faith Be Based on Reason?

There are too many religious people who become religious precisely to avoid having to think, writes the dean of a theological seminary in the United States. They simply want to accept everything on faith, he adds.

The implication is that most people who profess religious faith give little thought to why they believe what they do or to whether there is a reasonable basis for faith. It is no wonder that religion has become a topic that many are reluctant to talk about.

Regrettably, such practices as using religious images and repeating prayers by rote also discourage reasoning. These practices, along with the impressive architecture, elaborate stained-glass windows, and captivating music, more or less define the extent of the religious experience of millions. Though some churches claim that their faith is based on the Bible, their message of believe in Jesus and you will be saved makes light of serious Bible study. Others turn to preaching a social or political gospel. What is the result of all this?

Concerning the situation in North America, one religion writer said: Christianity. . . tends to be superficial, [and] its adherents are poorly educated in the faith. A pollster even went so far as to describe the United States as a nation of biblical illiterates. To be fair, these observations would also be true of other countries where so-called Christianity prevails. Many non-Christian religions likewise discourage reasoning and instead emphasize chants, ritualistic prayers, and various forms of meditation that involve mysticism, rather than logical, constructive thinking.

Yet, in their everyday life, the same people who give little thought to the accuracy or truthfulness of their religious beliefs often think other matters through very carefully. Does it not strike you as odd that the person who does extensive research just to buy a car which one day will end up on the scrap heap would say regarding his religion, If it was good enough for my parents, its good enough for me?

If we are truly interested in pleasing God, should we not consider seriously the accuracy of what we believe about him? The apostle Paul spoke of certain religious people of his day who had a zeal for God; but not according to accurate knowledge. (Romans 10:2) Such ones could be compared to a hired painter who works hard to paint a house but uses the wrong colors because he fails to listen to the owners instructions. The painter may be pleased with his work, but would it be acceptable to the owner?

What is acceptable to God regarding true worship? The Bible answers: This is fine and acceptable in the sight of our Savior, God, whose will it is that all sorts of men should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth. (1 Timothy 2:3, 4) Some may feel that it is impossible to find such knowledge among the many religions of today. But think if it is Gods will that people should come to an accurate knowledge of truth, would he unfairly conceal it from them? Not according to the Bible, which says: If you search for [God], he will let himself be found by you. 1 Chronicles 28:9.

How does God make himself known to those who sincerely search for him? The next article will provide the answer.

Interesting how they can change their tune *just like that* in such a short period of time......

Love, Scully

Edited by - Scully on 16 August 2002 1:27:0

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit