Pagan Daybook

by gsx1138 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

Just had the feeling that it wasn't right for me -thats all :o)

They were freakzoids though :oP

Gotta go to bed - cya later ....... nighty, night

• COMF
    COMF

Exchanged one imaginary god for a whole bunch, huh?

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

LOL! Yup, odd people come in all shapes, sizes, colors, religions, etc.

Comf, Those many gods and goddesses are just a way of visualizing the divine. Pagans (well at least myself :-) don't really believe that there are a multitude of gods and goddesses wandering around any more than christians really think God is sitting up there on a throne with Jesus physically sitting next to him :-)~

• COMF
    COMF

Kewl!

• Sirona
    Sirona

Betweenworlds: some pagans do believe there are individual gods and goddesses. check out www.polytheism.com for some interesting articles.

I believe that gods and goddesses are aspects of the ALL, but that does not mean that a goddess, say Hathor for instance, will not appear in her particular form. She is a goddess in her own right.

Sirona

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

Sirona,

I believe that gods and goddesses are aspects of the ALL, but that does not mean that a goddess, say Hathor for instance, will not appear in her particular form. She is a goddess in her own right.

Do I understand you right if I interpret this to mean that some feel the gods/goddesses are a collective group with different talents and abilities?

I'm thinking of checking my local library for the book mentioned earlier in this thread. Would that one, or another, best explain the core beliefs?

From looking at the Wicca links on www.religioustolerance.org it seems to be very appealing--few rules. As Xander said, your conscience is your guide, and the emphasis appears to be more on doing only good for others, or being neutral, rather than trying to control or manipulate others.

This strikes me as a better motivator for good than the idea of scaring people with the idea of hell ("Do as you will so long as no harm is done to others" and "Good done to others will return threefold to you; likewise evil done to others").

I'd sent an e-mail to someone in Dayton but haven't heard back from them yet. I realize they have to verify my e-mail addy works and so on. In case I don't hear from them, what advice would you give to someone curious and interested?

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Cool! Thanks for the article :) I'll check it out.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Kingpawn:

Do I understand you right if I interpret this to mean that some feel the gods/goddesses are a collective group with different talents and abilities?

Yes. Some people follow different pantheons, e.g. Greek or Egyptian. One online friend I have worships Hades - she is the owner of www.polytheism.com.

People tend to find patron gods - a god or goddess who they feel is close to them individually. Perhaps they "meet" them in meditation or within their circle.

I'm thinking of checking my local library for the book mentioned earlier in this thread. Would that one, or another, best explain the core beliefs?

Not sure what book you mean (I'd have to look back). Most people start with Scott Cunningham's "Wicca - Guide for the solitary practitioner". With regard to gods and goddesses, Janet and Stuart Farrar's books "the Witches Goddess" and "the Witches God" provide a good overview of various gods and goddesses.

what advice would you give to someone curious and interested?

I would say read, read, read. Find any information you can lay your hands on about all religions. Firstly I'd advise reading up about buddhism. If you already have a good background in other religions, then find information on paganism in general (not just wicca) and please try to avoid the books that are not serious (e.g. spellbooks or ones with sensational titles like "how to make anyone love you"). By all means read wicca books, but don't imagine that wicca is all paganism. You might like to be a druid, or simply an eclectic pagan. There are some great websites. Look at www.wicca.com, http://www.paganpath.com, www.witchvox.com, just for a starter

Hope that helps. Remember, not everyone is suited to being pagan.

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit