camping information.

by James Brown 34 Replies latest jw friends

• James Brown
    James Brown

My wife and I are planning on taking a year off and taking a Jeep and a camper through all the 48 contiguous states and Alaska and some of Canada.

Living in Florida, I have always had guns and a concealed carry permit. But researching for our upcoming retirement vacation, it seems to me that I might not be able to legally carry firearms on my upcoming expedition.

It seems every state has different laws and licenses. What does a camper from Florida do when he goes to New York or California? Do they leave their guns at home?

I find it hard to believe that all these long hall truckers and recreational vehicle enthusiast are driving around in the wild unprotected.

I am not that paranoid in the city. I rarely ever carry here in Florida. But to be out in the wild, it seems to me that one should have protection available.

I know I could put the gun unloaded and locked up in the camper but I doubt that is legal in all states. What am I going to do with my gun when I go from Nevada to California or Arizona to California or Ohio to New York? I don't want to end up a happy vacation by gong to jail.

I also think it is somewhat irresponsible to go out into the wild and unknown areas without protection.

Does anyone have any advice or information on this matter.

Maybe seeing the USA in a camper is not a good idea.

Even if I wasn't in a camper but traveling and seeing all the sights and areas in the USA, I think one would want protection, If you really want to see things.

If you just want to go see Mount Rushmore and the grand canyon you don't need a gun but if that's all you want to do why waste 10's of thousands of dollars on vehicle and camper, you could just look at pictures of them on the internet.

It would be safer and cheaper to just sit home in front of my computer. But this life might be more than that.

I wish I never brought this trip up to my wife she wants to go. But as a man I have to provide protection and security.

I have not been a camper or outdoors man through out my life. This trip is a bucket list retirement thing.

Is there a difference between carrying a hand gun and a shot gun as far as legality and feasibility?

Any good advice would be appreciated.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Not too sure about the gun issue. Good question. We carry too.

As for the trip....GO FOR IT. Life is too short. Wish I could do it but have too much responsibility at the moment.

Be safe!!!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I might read more from this website and a few other websites before deciding it's okay, but.....

I googled "can you carry a gun in your auto all 50 states"

It appears okay to lock up an unloaded gun while traveling. If you think you are unsafe where you plan to stop at night, look up specifics for that state either beforehand or when you get there as to whether you can load your gun while there at night. Personally, I would probably just load it at night whether it was allowed or not, as it's better to be alive and safe and in trouble over it rather than be dead.

I got this answer at "http://www.secondcalldefense.org/self-defense-news/traveling-your-gun-legally"

For the most part, Federal law is pretty straightforward. No federal permit is required. And the Firearms Owners' Protection Act (FOPA) shields you from local restrictions if you're transporting firearms for lawful purposes.
    Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.
    Exceptions apply to those who are convicted felons; persons under indictment for felonies; adjudicated "mental defectives" or those who have been involuntarily committed to mental institutions; illegal drug users; illegal aliens and most nonimmigrant aliens; dishonorably discharged veterans; those who have renounced their U.S. citizenship; fugitives from justice; persons convicted of misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence; and persons subject to domestic violence restraining orders.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

This one has even more:
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

In most states, firearms may be transported legally if they are unloaded, cased, and locked in the automobile trunk or otherwise inaccessible to the driver or any passenger. The exceptions to this rule apply mainly to transportation of handguns and so-called “assault weapons.” The myriad and conflicting legal requirements for firearm transportation through the states make caution the key for travelers of which you must consult local law.
    If you travel with a trailer or camper that is hauled by an automobile, it is advisable to transport the firearms unloaded, cased and locked in the trunk of the car. If your vehicle is of the type in which driving and living spaces are not separated, the problem becomes one of access. If the firearm is carried on or about the person, or placed in the camper where it is readily accessible to the driver or any passenger, state and local laws regarding concealed carrying of firearms may apply. It is recommended, therefore, that the firearm be transported unloaded, cased, and placed in a locked rear compartment of the camper or mobile home, where it is inaccessible to the driver or any passenger.

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey
    I'm not sure about long guns, but you will be turned away at the Canadian border with a handgun.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I believe, in general, that a shotgun would be less problematic than a handgun, and if you're using it for wilderness protection, it may work for you.

Keep in mind that in some states if you get pulled over, you must immediately disclose that you have a firearm to the police. And, I know that in the state of Maryland, you must carry your firearm unloaded with the ammo in a separate compartment of the vehicle. Not sure if there is an exception for a concealed carry permit or if Florida's would be considered acceptable in MD, but it's nearly impossible to get a CC permit in Maryland.

Also, you are not getting into any sensitive sites like the White House or other museums in DC with any kind of weapon if you're planning on visiting them or other cultural sites.

In general, the north does not take kindly to weapons, especially handguns, and they are highly regulated. I would research every single state before you travel through it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Oh yeah, Canada: http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/transporting-firearms/bringing-a-firearm-into-canada/#.VYxXK_lViko

They don't allow handguns except for target ranges. It would not be allowed for self-defense or hunting and I think they would want proof that the purpose of a handgun is not for self-defense or hunting. Read that website and stick with hunting rifles or shotguns and be prepared for a grilling at the border. OR don't go to Canada.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Thank you for your replies.

I'll have to chew on this for a while.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Just a travel suggestion...

If you want to hit every state, here's a suggestion for Maryland and Virginia. Stay away from Baltimore! If you're coming up 95, turn east and visit Maryland and Virginia's eastern shore. Take route 50 east through Maryland. Visit Assateague Island which is an uninhabited barrier island on the ocean. It is wild and natural and they have wild ponies!

Then go south into Virginia and visit Chincoteague Island and from there cross back over to the Virginia portion of Assateague island to see their wild ponies. This is the home of Misty of Chincoteague, the pony of the children's book of the same name. You can stay in the town of Chincoteague. It's a quaint little town where in July, they have the pony swim and sale which manages the herd and benefits the local fire department.

This is a unique slice of America and you avoid the big cities. Plus, you cross two states off your list at the same time!

• marmot
    marmot

I'm a gun enthusiast, hunter and recreational shooter yet I cannot grasp this need to carry a firearm with you.

Just leave them in the safe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit