Ferocious large waves pics battering Porthleven

by Celtic 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Celtic
    Celtic

These are some pictures from a particularly bad storm we had that raged at hurricane strength for 20 hours or so. Shows you the enormous potential for damage from the waves. Pictured is the village of Porthleven within Mounts Bay in the far west of the county of Cornwall UK, the waves were measured at over 95' high coming in at over 40mph.

During the storm I was stood in the clocktower doorway as the waves swept over the top of the building within which there is a snooker table full size with a couple of guys playing peacefully away as if nothing was happening on the outside.

Celtic Mark - Cornwall UK

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Amazing.

• Xandria
    Xandria

Wow.... !!!!! surf is up. Scary.

Xandria

• dsgal
    dsgal

This would have scared the pants off me in 1975.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Mark

Glad you are unscathed hope all are safe. The sheer force of the waves and storm are a wonder to behold.

Thank you for sharing those pictures.

Keep dry Mark

PS Didn't your mother not tell you to play in the rain? Or are you one of those puddle jumpers?

• Celtic
    Celtic

1989 winter to be precise. Surf eh? Well, just around the corner only a hundred yards or so away from the clocktower is Porthleven Reef, known for its unusual reef break, one of the best in Europe, far flung reputation as an excellent surfing spot, you just don't want to get dumped by the waves there, particularly jagged rocks lie just under the surface, cut many a surfer and their wetsuit to shreds, not to mention broken surfboards.

Celtic Mark - Cornwall UK

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Awesome!

Isn't it strange, that a greater power that can harness the waves, has to deal with the whole of humanity, through an imperfect, at times idiotic, organisation like the WTS?

Cheers, Ozzie

• avengers
    avengers

Good pictures. Wow!

• heathen
    heathen

hey did I see timothy mcvieghs face in that wave ?

• Latte
    Latte

Celtic,

Thanks for posting those wonderful pictures...they are amazing!

Latte

Edited by - Latte on 16 August 2002 1:22:34

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit