The worst company I worked for.

by Preston 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Preston
    Preston

Nope, the above isn't a cryptic reference to my experience wallowing in the low spark of domineering elders, self-righteous piblishers, and heavy handed overseers. It is however an accurate statement regarding my 7-month stay at an Internet company here in Arizona that sold ink cartridges over the web. It was my first full-time job after I graduated from college with my Bachelor's degree last year, and in my mind it was one of the most poorly run companies in the world. I started in December 2001, a few months out of college. I responded to an ad and I was set up with an interview the following day. Their business was located in the back room of an Insurance office and my first impression of the company was that it was a very busy environment. I was informed that they needed to resolve some business issues with their company, primarily in their shipping department. I agreed to help their company as well as offer on-call tech support if any tech issues came up. I was asked to come in the next day. On my first day of work I was informed that my manager and assistant manager fired all of the company's staff the day before except for their web designer and computer technician (both lived out of state). They felt that I could do the job of all the staff that they fired. I was a little concerned at first but was too busy to think about it when I started working. My job at first involved packaging all of the orders, printing out labels through ort UPS on-line world ship system, and giving the tracking numbers to my manager to enter into the back end of our Internet store. The reason why this was done was so we had proof that the orders went out. All we had to do was refer to the tracking number and trace it through ups. That day I was later informed that instead of using a shipper that stopped by and picked up all the packages himself, I would personally have to hand-deliver all of the packages at the end of the day to UPS' main office down the street. Even though it was an inconvenience, my truck was big enough to take all the orders, I would be getting some exercise in the process, and hey, I was getting paid $500.00 a week. No big deal. Later I found out that our company did not keep in stock many of the products that they advertised on their web site. Orders sat for several months because our manager didn't obtain those products through our distributor. They would simply wait for the customer to complain to their credit card company before they gave thought to ordering the product from elsewhere. Still, I managed to resolve enough issues with their business for our manager to move us to a better location. He picked a group of suites located in the heart of Scottsdale's clubbing district, which were, to say the least, not very cheap. During the company move I was informed that I would be under obligation to move the entire inventory myself, as well as all of their computers, and some of their furniture. At the new office, I built their network from scratch, and resolved any compatibility issues when I upgraded all of their systems. I informed my manager that because we upgraded all of their systems that he would have to invest in some security software for the company, especially considering the fact that he wanted to turn this business into a multi-million dollar one. He never did this, and this usually resulted in at least one of our computer systems crashing every week. During my stay at the company I got my brother (recently laid off) and my friend jobs there.

Even though our manager gave us all raises some things made me suspicious. He informed us that that he had to take some of the company's money and invest it in his brother's on-line gambling business in California. In the meantime, the funds that we needed in order to purchase our inventory went to his brothers gambling business. In one month we had as much as 500 orders that were on backorder. Every week we would be contacted by private investigators, lawyers, attorney generals, customers that never received refunds, and businesses that never got paid or received bounced checks. Customers called up, informing us that our manager told them to "go F***K themselves." Our manager would continually berate and harass his assistant manager. One day he threw a cup of hot coffee all over her office. My manager also loved to give us lame excuses such as "in order for our customers to be refunded we have to charge them twice on another merchant account". Because of that most of my job centered around providing responses to credit card disputes, most of which centered around fraud, customers getting charged multiple times, and customer's never getting refunded. Some of the disputes involved customers who never heard of our company. One credit card dispute involved a customer who was overcharged $2,000. A simple search on the Internet reveals just how bad the customer service really was. Here are some comments from some of our valued customers:

I returned the defective cartridges more than a month ago and am still waiting for a credit.

I emailed [the company] and they said to return the cartridge and they would refund my money. This was in November, 2001.

I was billed the $60.95 cents in late November.However, on January 3rd they once again billed my AMEX account $60.95.

double billed - late delivery - unable to contact company via phone or e-mail

One day, our manager invited his brother to run his on-line gambling business at our company. He camped out in our front office, would walk around barefoot, and leave his trash all over the place (at which point my brother and I were assigned as clean-up crew). We later found out he had a warrant for his arrest for failing to make a court appearance, which resulted in two police officers showing up in one day. I also found out that it was illegal to run an on-line gaming business in Arizona. I suspected he was doing drugs. My manager also loved to tell us how he would only hire "babes" before he hired me for the job, but later on felt the need to hire professionals. The last straw was when I received 5 bounced checks in a row. Our web designer received a bounced check and took off all of the files on our web server. He threatened her with legal action in order to get the sites up. My friend left the company with 3 bounced checks at which my manager promptly replaced her with another person to handle customer service. He did reimburse me for the 5 bounced checks but continued to not pay us for all of my checks afterwards. The last week of my stay at the company was the strangest. My manager assigned me to take care of customer refunds but limited them to $200 a day (there were 10's of thousands of dollars in refunds that needed to be taken care of). I was also assigned to handle incoming e-mails as well, which wasn't too bad, although most if the inquiries were from customers who needed their orders filled and we didn't have the inventory. My manager also blamed me for the decrease in new and return business despite the fact that he double-charged customers, never got our company the inventory we needed, and overcharged customers. My last day at the company was yesterday. At which, he told me that he wanted to put a "stop on my hours" so he could "pay me up". He blamed me for the credit card disputes and bemoaned the fact that I was sending resumes out during company time (could you blame me) and my lack of commitment to the job (could you blame me). He now thinks this business can be run with only two people.....you got it, there are only 2 people working there now.

Anyway, thank you for letting me rant about the worst job I ever had. Right now I'm unemployed and going in for interviews. I'm actually thinking about going into school again to get my technical certification. If my manager doesn't pay me up soon then I'm taking him to court. I know his address and home phone number. I'm actually thinking of sending out a mass e-mail to all of the customers he has screwed with his contact info.

Anyway the purpose of this e-mail was mostly therapeutic. Please feel free to post your own job experiences...

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Hi Preston:

Yup, that sounds like a classic fly-by-night outfit. You're well out of it. But, looking on the good side, you now have some job experience for your resume'!

My worst job was the first one I got after emigrating to Canada. I arrived in Canada with $300, consequently was rather in need of a job. And of course, for an immigrant the first job is the hardest to get, because all the employers want someone with Canadian experience. This is especially true in my line of work (accounting).

I finally managed to get an interview with a "home furnishings design and production" company. It was a guy and his wife in their house. Oh, there was an irritating little terrier there too. During the interview he quoted a salary, to which my response was "is this a part-time opportunity?" It was full time.

I accepted the job, basically running all the accounting functions of the company for minimum wage. I still kick myself for this, but I was 23 and in need of a job. The guy was a toxic boss: everything was last minute and needed to be done NOW, cashflow was terrible with resultant irritated creditors, there was pressure to try downright dishonest accounting practices, the damn terrier kept nipping my legs under the desk.

The guy was basically a predator, hiring new immigrants because he knew he could take advantage of them cheaply and discard them when they got unhappy. One woman was an alcoholic who I used to find passed out on their bed after drinking the contents of their liquor cabinet. After a while, my "duties" were expanded (for a whole Cdn$1 an hour more!) I was now "shipping manager". Since I was the only guy there, this equated to loading and unloading trucks with quilts etc they had produced at there new " production facility" (a rat infested pile of crumbling brickwork). I worked at this during the Canadian winter during snowstorms and -20C evenings. My hands bled.

Occasionally, the wife (a Jewish princess) would commend me on how hard a worker I was, then go back to painting her nails. After six months, I had had it, and found a real job at a firm of Chartered Accountants. Even after many failed promises of "big rewards", he still told how disappointed he was in my lack of commitment.

On my way out, I finally got in a good kick on the damn terrier!

And the morals of the tale? Change jobs every two years. Don't settle for crap. Bargain hard or they wont respect you. And as soon as you can, go self-employed.

Expatbrit

• SYN
    SYN

WOW! Seems you guys've had some horrible experiences!

About my worst job ever was working at a Hifi shop, selling car sound. It had the upside of lots of cool guys to chat with, but the actual job was about as exciting as a Field Service arrangement, and our managers were, for the most part, how can I put this gently...complete twits!

I'm pretty happy with my current job, although it's hard work, it's very challenging!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Oh goodness, what a wonderful thread to do my venting. My worst job experience came in about 1990. I had just broken up with my first fiance. (thanks in large part to our different religious beliefs and his was his refusal to join the JW's, well good for him now that I look back in retrospect). I quit my job because he and I worked at the same place (another good reason for not dating people that you work with...) I got a job a small CPA firm here in the D/FW area and the first few weeks were OK. However I was expected to drive around my car and do all the deliveries for the office. Well there was one minority partner in the firm, "Lisa", (I can say her name because of reasons explained) who enjoyed berating me at different times. She and I were the same age, but because she had the CPA diploma on her wall, she said we weren't equals. What a wonderful thing to tell your subordinate! One day I said I work with her, and she says no you work FOR me! I was plotting her demise in my dreams at night to get thru the job. She would yell at me if I parked in different spots in our parking lot (although none were assigned, she was just looking for things to yell at me about.) I put up with this for months until I couldn't take it anymore. I went to the head of the firm and explained my frustrations. He was sympathetic but yet did nothing to change her abusive manner towards me and especially other women in the office. I finally went in and told my supervisor if that B_ _ _ _ _ doesn't leave me alone, then to just fire me. I didn't want to quit, because then I wouldn't be eligible for unemployment benefits. Well, the next day I was fired. My JW elder father took me to a local cafeteria and we had a "Get Fired" party.

Fast forward 10 years and last summer someone that knew me from the firm asked me about Lisa. Whatever happened to her, do you know? I said I think she got married, however that's it. Well I typed her name into www.google.com and found her name on a "in memory of" website. I thought, is she dead? I contacted my old employer and they said she had died from the effects of childbirth and her baby died soon after. I thought what a tragedy to happen to this person. Even though I had "plotted" her demise in my thoughts, I had no idea she had really passed on. She was just 36 and had wanted to be a parent so badly, so badly that it killed her. I felt so bad for all those negative feelings I had towards her, and learning upon her untimely death how I hadn't dealt with all that anger that I harbored against her and people like her. I thank God I now have the real Jesus and don't have to "worry" about whether I will be saved in the day of Jah's anger. No more going door to door to earn my place in the new system.

With the JW's I have the throw up and go syndrome - heave and leave!

Edited by - TresHappy on 14 August 2002 16:54:31

• Quincy
    Quincy

Preston...and everyone else....I really really enjoy the company I work for...However...I think some people within the company mistaken me for a dumbass because I was supposed to recieve a 1300.00 commission check....and was only paid a 100.00 commission check...now the commissions department states that I will have to wait another 30 days because they cant pay 2 commission checks in 1 month...which i think is a bunch of BS...being as though I work for a Muti-billion dollar tele-communications company...So I am a little pissed with them right now as well.....Q

• Preston
    Preston

Thank you guys for posting:

expatbrit - thank you for helping me look at the bright side of things with all the experience I received. Your company sounded like mine (having employees handle shipping and accounting). I'm thinking of developing a Monty Pythin sketch of a peturbed accountant kicking a dog under the desk, and the dog flying across the room....funny :D

TresHappy - Not to sound heartless about Lisa, but glory is fleeting. You can be hot sh*t but you really don't know how your life will turn out...

SYN - yeah, can't stand upper management myself. Plus, all of the discrimination you put up with for being a gerbil with a tennis racket...

Quincy - One thing I've learned is that people love to take advantage of you, although it's a bigger insult when they take you for an idiot. Kick their ass for me....

• Simon
    Simon

I had some terrible experiences working for one company. So many bad things that it's hard to believe I stayed there as long as I did (young and stupid I guess).

Once, I had a disciplinary because someone rang me at home for computer support even though someone else was supposed to be 'on call'. It was my day off and I was out but I got a black mark because it showed a bad attitude !

The only job I ever got fired from (unfair dismisal) and I had to take legal action to get them to pay the wages owing me (I still ended up being screwed big time though).

I guess it counts as 'experience' and since then I have done a lot better job-wise (ie. 4 times the salary) and if they had been a bit nicer I may have still been wasting my time with them.

• cellomould
    cellomould

Wow,

I was feeling ready today to leave my professor's research group for much less!

Preston, there are numerous lesser forms of torture than what you endured. What comes to mind is being beaten and left for dead in the middle of a Sudan summer with no food, no water... all alone except for the company of parasitic flies.

Whether or not I leave, it is important that I confront the issues with which I am faced. I am not happy with what is expected of me. I have put up with my professor's venting several times; in each case he got upset, it was really that he misunderstood me or was entirely presumptuous. Today in a group meeting, I was presenting my latest results, along with my reasoning, which was based on at least two previous conversations. But he got mad because he thought I was changing something, likely having forgotten what I had earlier proposed.

I am, quite frankly, annoyed today.

He is a decent man, but I am certain that I need more from my professional relationships. Sounds odd, but that's what it is. That is an important area in which we need a healthy relationship.

I believe, by the way, that all relationships should be peer-to-peer, regardless of one person's feeble attempts to pull rank.

cellmould

• LDH
    LDH

Preston,

I read this the day you posted it. I tried really really hard not to laugh at you, but I failed. Every time I read this $#&$ post I laugh my butt off.

I'm not trying to be mean, it's just that I think we've all been there.

Now, (If I was working) and someone pulled that crap on me, I'd be out of there. Some employers really take advantage of people who want to do a good job and turn in an honest day's work.

Simon is right. You will get a new job and it will pay you at least twice what this job did. You're worth it.

Lisa

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Hmmmm, had to add to this thread. (venting is always good for what ails ya)

Wal-Mart. Yep, I shop there regularly, but during my 8 month stay there - well, not only did I get injured due to unsafe conditions in the lay-away warehouse, I perpetually found that they were seriously understaffed. They hire people for 3mths and then let them go. I was kept to the maximum allowed before I was to be hired perm.part-time. Due to a large turn around every 3 months, this leads to workers not being familiar or prepared to do their job. This leads to very angry customers, of which the cashiers (of which was my title) heard plenty of.

I had three schedules to check before I left after each shift. One for lay-away; one out back; one up at the cashier's podium. The shifts were all over creation regarding time and length. People who had worked until 12pm (one hour for clean up) had to be back at 7am. I approached the managers on this one and said, can't you make it so that whoever works til closing doesn't have to be in for opening? Their response? Well, the computer doesn't work that way. Even though I would check each - if someone changed my schedule after I left, I was not told, and would catch s...t, like many others.The workers there work every Sunday, 8-4 cleaning up the store. Xmas was a bloody nightmare. I didn't mind being a cashier. I was made to pull double duty due to lack of staffing. They didn't care about my injury, being that I wasn't a fulltime employee and would be leaving anyway.

A whole lot of us got laid off on Xmas eve. Wal-Mart's way of saying "Merry Xmas to all!"

The people there are pretty good - it's the management, and ours is not the only store like this. Wal-Mart is a conformity retail. Next time you go to a Wal-Mart and can't find an associate in a department - complain to the manager. I'll never work for them again. Oh - and when arguing over a price - the squeeky wheel ALWAYS gets the grease.

Mimilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit