Born Ins Vs Converts

by JW_Rogue 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    Did you ever feel like born ins were looked at differently than those that were converted? I always felt that there was a level of suspicion around those "raised in the truth". That we were always suspected of being JWs to make our family happy. That our faith was less than those who converted. Also, those that converted after a career and marriage always seemed to find it odd that young JWs struggled with those things.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If you are an apathetic "born-in" everyone wonders if you have really "made the Troof your own".

those that converted after a career and marriage always seemed to find it odd that young JWs struggled with those things.

Yes............always amazing to me how they can give soooo much advice on "putting Kingdom interests first" when they have a sh!tload of money built up in the bank and are not worried about their next paycheck. Esp unbelieving husbands that hung around on the fringes until they retired (from their objectionable employment).

Doc

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    Don't forget the many RBC Elders who own their own contracting company. It's amazing how many contractors are Elders.
  • Giordano
    Giordano

If it is true (Pew Religious Survey) that over 60% of born-ins leave or fade from the JW religion one would have to say that not only does the Society fail these born-in's but obviously being raised as a JW lacks something.

This new internet information age is also discouraging Pastors/Ministers/Rabbi's who go on line and look for or stumble into information about their religion which proves discouraging.

The Mormons now have a leaving rate of 30% which is twice as high as it was a decade ago. Apparently finding out that Joseph Smith had 40 wives did not sit well with many long time Mormons. However being a good deal better organized and educated then the JW's they still count all baptized Mormons as part of the Mormon church be they believers or not.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    I guess I shouldn't have been insulted since deep down I always knew it was true at least in my case. lol
  • done4good
    done4good

Born-ins and converts are fundamentally different.

A child who is forced to accept what their parent(s) believe is never going to look at that information the same way as an adult who identifies with that information for one reason or another, and makes the life changes required to live up to that identity. It is just not possible.

Those differences take different forms throughout a person's life, which I believe even includes differences after a person leaves. A convert probably has a much easier time adjusting to becoming a real person again, not necessarily so with a born-in.

Apathy does tend to run stronger in born-ins overall. They didn't ask for the miserable existence their parents forced on them, but they are stuck. So apathy becomes the order of the day. This should be no surprise.

Being a born-in sucks. I was lucky I had help in certain areas by other born-ins who were intelligent enough to know when to ignore the WT's counsel, and get an education, career, etc. Many others don't fare that well. Converts know absolutely nothing of that life.

d4g

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

D4g, so true.

being a born in, when you are a naturally independent thinker and free spirit, SUCKS. Especially if your parents are good strong witnesses. I want a real childhood.

• steve2
    steve2

There's an old maxim that converts are always more zealous than those who are raised in a religious belief system. That is as true for JWs as it is for many other religious groups.

It makes sense: Converts as a rule have been searching and at some level have shown initiative in hooking up with JWs, whereas born-ins are handed it from day one; searching has nothing to do with it.

There are exceptions: Born-ins who drop out, go through some tough experiences, conclude they cannot cope in the world and are so thankful to be reinstated. Generally though their zeal does not last as long as the converts. It's like a homecoming: Fantastic for the first few weeks, then grim reality sets in: "So this is why I dropped out in the first place!"

I

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

those that converted after a career and marriage always seemed to find it odd that young JWs struggled with those things.

What always bugged me as a child growing up were those zealous converts who had a good education and life prospects. New cars, nice houses, secure income, etc. They would be the first ones telling me to throw everything away and pioneer and reach out. They used to say "If I'd only known the truth at your age things would have turned out so different. Sigh..." (Damn right they would have turned out different you'd be looking where your next meal is coming from in stead of living in your semi retirement paradise awaiting god's judgement on the world)

Being a born-in sucks. I was lucky I had help in certain areas by other born-ins who were intelligent enough to know when to ignore the WT's counsel, and get an education, career, etc. Many others don't fare that well. Converts know absolutely nothing of that life.

I have to agree strongly with you there done4. That is why I married out of the truth and my two University educated kids know so little about it. I couldn't possibly bring my kids up the way I was. My kids don't appreciate what I did for them but I'll bet many on this site do!

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD
    I hated it when someone would ask me if I was a born-in or a convert. When I told them I was a born-in they would always say I had it easy that my faith was not as strong as theirs. Now that I know better I would have asked them Oh was you made fun of everyday in school for 4 years because you was a JW. Did the teacher try to force you to salute the flag and when you didn't she would make fun of you and then punish you in front of the whole class. Then tell you better not tell your parents or you will be in bigger trouble. Did you have to fight off a group of kids who would seek you out to beat you up while the teachers looked the other way. Or how about the P.O. who tried to rape my friend and when I caught him doing it he ran me down and choke me until I past out. Then a few days later told me not to say a word because he could come in at night and kill me. Yes I had it so much easier than you converts who came in after you worked a life time making money then at your old age decided to become a JW because you did not want to die at the big A. I was a sacrificial child of the WT Cult and so was all the other kids raised in the Wt. Cult. As children they are the ones who have to make their stand weather they believe the Wt. or not. They are the ones that end up getting hurt because the Wt. never cared a bats ass about the children. I remember when I was a child one of the older ones at the KH told me that I should not even be there because I was a kid. Unloved in the congregation and unloved in the world. What a horrible way to grow up. Boy did I just blow off some steam. 61 years old and this is all I can remember about my Jw childhood. Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit