Should I Go To College?

by joeshmoe 29 Replies latest jw friends

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

Black Man and Mike,

Yea, considering I had 6 frickin' years of no income and barely reportable income the past year, you'd think I'd be eligible for some aide. I'll keep looking.

Valis,

I'm glad to responded. I vaguely remembered you taught at a local CC. Thanks for the links. I'll drop you an email soon.

Thanks for the feedback all! I'm really glad you're here. This site gives me so much energy. It's like a second lease on life (or maybe a first -- it's hard to call "witness-world" life at all!)

-Joe

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

You can do it!

Fastweb.com has a scholarship search and tips on how to qualify. There is a lot of "interests" that are funding college if you are interested in their field of study.

Edited by - thichi on 13 August 2002 17:38:36

Edited by - thichi on 13 August 2002 17:40:5

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Almost everyone has already said it, but go to Community College. Its cheap (at least it is in California).

Take Psychology, Philosophy, English Literature, History etc... All of the "taboo" subjects of the Witlesses and open up your mind. Ponder the world and your existence.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I never went to college as a kid, either, after all, Armageddon was coming by 1975, so when I graduated high school in 1969, there was just no point. I've recently started aggressively pursuing the last few courses I need to complete a degree I started working on in 1987. At that time, the company I worked for was paying for it (tuition, books, travel, everything as long as I got "B" or better - that was never a problem). Now, my company doesn't pay, but it's worth it to me to foot the bill myself.

For the first time this summer, I took an online course. The course was in Basic Logic, and it was conducted entirely online. I was able to register online, and to order the books from barnesandnoble.com, so it was never necessary for me to go to the school AT ALL Those of you who are saying time is a problem should really look into this - not having to go to classes was a BIG time saver! The syllabus was online, as were all reading assignments and the professor's lecture notes and tutorials. Quizzes and tests were online, too (and, obviously, open-book - but that's not as easy as it sounds if the professor knows what he's doing).

Another benefit of the online course is that the tuition was about half what it would have been if I had taken a course where I actually had to go to class. I'm hoping to take the rest of my courses online, and have already signed up for two courses for the fall semester.

Many, many colleges now offer online courses and other forms of distance learning. The sacrifice of time and money required to get an education is considerably less than in past years!

• Scully
    Scully

Going to college was the best thing I ever did for myself. It's costing me now to pay back those student loans, but hey! I can afford it. I can also afford my new car, new clothes for myself and my children, and a year ago, hubby and I had saved enough to put a downpayment on a house. Those were things that we could never have done - even on two salaries - as JWs, because of all the years of conditioning to 'not build up treasures on earth', and 'seek first the kingdom' and all the assorted other esteem-eroding BS.

You're still young, and don't have the same relationship commitments that I had as a 31 year old wife and mother of three when I started nursing school. It was tough to stay focussed, but I was determined. I'm not sure who I wanted to prove it to the most that I could do it - my parents, my husband, the JWs who mocked me for going back to school when Armageddon was so close, or myself.

I love my job, I love being paid to do my job (I still can't believe how much they pay me to do what I do!), and I have NO regrets whatsoever about going back to school. If I can do it, so can you!

Love, Scully

• Imbue
    Imbue

Yes, go to college! Go even if you have to take one class at a time and pay for it out of your pocket. You won't regret it but you may regret not attending college. Now, it won't be anyone else's fault but your own if you decide not to attend. Since you're out of the org you're responsible for your own decisions and the consequences of those decisions. It's your life now so don't waste it in a job that doesn't challenge your mental process.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Since you haven't had much income over the past few years that is a major plus! I wait tables and was still able to get almost $1300 in grants this years. Grants are basically gifts from the gov't that you don't have to pay back. Plus, financial aid (loans) is available to almost everyone.

Go to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov . It's an easy free way to apply for student aid (loans and grants).

In addition, scholarships are available everywhere from $100 to several thousand dollars. Go to: http://www.scholarships.com /. Here you'll answer a few questions and fill out a profile, it will then search for scholarships that you can try for.

If you decided to go back which I would definitely recommend. . .Good Luck!!

Edited by - StinkyPantz on 13 August 2002 17:58:13

• onacruse
    onacruse

Joe, GO for it!! I didn't start until I was 44, and 6 years later I'm still attending (squeezing in classes around work schedule is a real challenge). And like RandomTask said, it's those humanities courses that will really melt away the mental permafrost we had as JWs.

Craig

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

Thanks for the links StinkyPantz!

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

You're welcome hunny!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit