New Tract-Youths What Will You Do With Your Life

by Scarlet 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I cannot begin to express the anger i feel at having college painted to me as the course for eggheads, worldlings, greedy ones, etc.

It is available to me now of course, but will involve more sacrifice and still will bring the blank looks from the pubs.

This gang of men has ruined millions of lives, many more than they have helped.

My children are hearing that college is THE thing for them to do, from me. If college takes away their belief system, how could everyday living do any differently?

• jack2
    jack2

Excellent thread and replies - yes, it looks like still another generation of jw kids will be put on a guilt trip for trying to get and education and live a normal life rather than drive around in a car and talk to practically no one all day.

And as mimimus said, this ineed appears to be one more example of mixed message sent out.

Good point too about the fact that many, many jw adults are indeed enjoying what life in this system has to offer - nice cars, vacations, bigger homes. Many elders are enjoying such things, and then they get up on the platform and try to convince others to 'sacrifice'.

• Simon
    Simon

There is a scan of the tract here for anyone who hasn't seen it:

Youths - How Will You Waste Your Life?

... with some more comments too

• stichione
    stichione

I personally haven't read the tract. But I see it's falling mostly on deaf ears. Elders in my congregation have growing kids in their teens who are graduating from high school and I don't hear the parents and/or kids talking about pioneering of Bethel service, but instead on going to college or university to get higher education. Which is great! This means the WTS must continually publish material encouraging youth not to go to higher education but into pioneering, because they figure that perhaps 5% will listen. Which is acceptable, since there is always a certian percentage of die-hard fanatics in any group, including high control groups such as the JWs. As for anyone who has sibblings trapped in this because of their parents, I tell you be patient. A few words spoken discreetly every now and then could eventually change someone's ideas.

• freedomhouse3
    freedomhouse3

In Nichiren Buddhism "devils" are defined as " robbers of life". Does the GB of the WTBTS fall into this catagory? I think so.

• glitter
    glitter

I'm wondering if careers officers or teachers would find this tract very helpful (and infuriating) - if I was the teacher of a JW kid, especially of a very capable one, I'd want to know that they are being encouraged not to continue with their education post 16/18!

glitter

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

I agree with the above post. I have nephews and neices who have been fed the same garbage. I'm REALLY getting to the point that I think that the JWs need a bit more public exposure to what they are pushing, particularly on their young. I remember distinctly getting called into the principle's office as a teen. She wanted to know, in view of my exceptional grades and school record, what plans I had for college, and how she could help me get more involved in school activities to help highlight my skills, etc. Of course, being the good brainwashed dub that I was, I told her I wasn't interested. I cannot recall what EXACTLY I told her, but I know it didn't make the society look as bad for holding me back as it really should have.

I wonder what a few more public statements about their stand on college, further education in general, pursuing careers, shunning, etc., would do. I really don't think the outside world has enough of a picture of what the organization promotes. It's not until you are sucked in (or in my case, raised without a choice about it, and therefore come to view it as a "norm"), that you see what it really teaches.

My belief is that the WTS is very selective in whom and how they push their agendas. I'd like to see some of these messages get a bit more publicity. Any suggestions?

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

I agree with you BlackSheep. I remember telling the guidance counselor I wasn't interested in going to college because I was going to be a missionary. What could they say to that? I found out years later that, in light of my grades, etc., all my worldly relatives had pulled the money together for me to go to university and went to my parents with it (I wasn't home at the time). My parents sent my grandfather and 2 uncles on their way, saying that college was out of the question for their daughter. I think the media should do a story on this aspect of brainwashing - I wonder if they even realize what's going on.

• Imbue
    Imbue

It saddened me to read this tract because of all the young people that will be affected by it's content. The consequences of making major life decisions based on the fear of displeasing your parents or the org are severe. Many of us have experienced or observed these consequences as a result of the WT's practice of spiritual abuse. This brochure demonstrates the spiritual abuse practiced by the organization.

Zenpunk...your showing them now...

Edited by - Imbue on 13 August 2002 17:19:6

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

Zepunk I really enjoyed your posts and could relate to you. About a year after not going to meetings I signed up for school and am now half way done. No one is going to stop me from getting my degree.

Thanks to everyone that posted you all really helped me to see that I am not the only one this upsets. I just hope my brother and sister are able to see the light and get out sooner than I did. It took me far too long. I know that If my husband wouldn't have left with me I would probably still be in it knowing that it was wrong and not God's org but not wanting to displease anyone. I knew when I was 18 I wanted no part in this religion and I still married into it at 21, I am gratful that at 22 I was able to leave and never look back or regret it. Even though I haven't been in 3 years I still was always quiet about it never standing up for myself. This site has helped me to see that there are other people that feel the way I do and I want to thank you all for being there for me.

Edited by - Scarlet on 14 August 2002 1:32:42

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit