A Little Greek is a Dangerous Thing

by Stephanus 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

(Apologies to any little Greeks! )

You know what I mean - a guy who's had no formal training in Biblical Greek who keeps digging up "treasures from the original". I gave a couple of examples in the Greek Synonyms thread.

I once had an argument (by mail) with a Christadelphian who was arguing that the use of the middle voice in a verse in Hebrews meant that Jesus had to die for his own salvation, not that of anyone else! In corresponding with him, it became apparent that he didn't know Middle Voice from Middle Earth. He insisted that Classical Greek, not Koine, was the standard to be used, then used the Koine word "ginomai" (gignomai in Classical Greek)

Dubs, of course, think they're Greek experts because they've encountered a whole lot of Watchtower spin over John 1:1 and the word "stauros".

What other examples are there?

(I refuse to debate Greek with Dubs because they don't realise how embarrassingly little they do know.)

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

*crickets chirp*

ummm...I like gyros...

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Moderators, please delete Stephanus for insulting Naeblis. Thank you.

Expatbrit

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

(I refuse to debate Greek with Dubs because they don't realise how embarrassingly little they do know.)

I meant "at the door". Here is fine!

• LDH
    LDH

UMMM I make a mean Spanikopita....and, er, uh, I once dated a Greek State Trooper (not the same one as the Howie Long lookalike) and, er, uh, never mind.

Lisa

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Although I get rebuked for my "pussy" posts, they get a good response. Perhaps if I mention that "ailouros" (as in "ailurophobia" - fear of cats) is Classical Greek for cat...

• twain30
    twain30

Remember the entire Watchtower article explaining the Greek word Tote' which literally means "Then" in relation to Mathew chapter 24?

• SYN
    SYN

Twain: There was a whole series of those! Or so it seemed!

• onacruse
    onacruse

Ooh! Ooh! <<raising hand and jumping up and down in seat>> Let's not forget parousia!!!!!!!

Of course, this issue is dead, because every dub takes the invisible presence of Jesus as a given.

"Minds like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and firmly set"

Craig

edited to add By the way, you scoundrel!! What are you doing, starting a new thread on this subject without responding to my post on your last thread? <<getting paddle ready>>

Edited by - onacruse on 12 August 2002 20:22:18

• comforter
    comforter

stephie

Have you formally studied Greek? Are you Greek?

Comfy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit