Is it cheaper to live in the U.S.A?

by haujobbz 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Motema Bolingo
    Motema Bolingo

It is very easy to compare the prices in the USA with those practiced in the Euroland.

1 Euro = 1 $

Jacques

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Ajaxman wrote:

The highest that I heard is in CA at 8.25% (correct me if I am wrong, Californians).

It depends on the county. In San Francisco County, it is 8.5%.

I have to say I disagree with JanH on the housing cost. (Sorry!) A studio costs about $800/month in where I live, and it's more expensive in San Francisco. I heard that when the economy was booming in SF an attic room costed $2000/month!

I've been looking for a house to rent. 3-bedroom with 2-bath is now between $1800 - 2200 per month. And they are not that big, either (under 1500sqf.)

• JanH
    JanH

sunshineToo,

I think we are in agreement. Housing is generally more expensive in the US than here. Perhaps higher housing prices tend to drive down prices on other things (and vice versa).

.- Jan

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Reading these rent prices really makes me feel lucky. I pay $300/month for a 1-bedroom in the downtown historic district. Brick house, basement apartment, central heat and air - that's with a unit specifically for each apartment, water paid for by the landlord, and it even has a neat skylight.

I make pretty good money, well above average for my job in this area or even nationwide. So I just have to wonder to myself just how much does one have to earn to pay $1000 or $2000 in rent and why they're spending that kind of money to rent in the first place. Rent is money that you never see again. If you're going to spend $2000 a month, why not invest it in buying a house?

Mike.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

JanH, I may just have to pack up and move to Norway!

$30,000/year for a low-end job is not that bad at all! What's the average income there for automotive technicians?

Mike.

• TR
    TR

Here in Spokane, eastern Washington State, an average 3/2 house is around $110,000. Now, you can buy a "fixer-upper" in a nice 'hood for much less. that's what I did, several times. The house I live in now is in a well-to-do area and I paid $75,000 1 year ago, but it needed a lot of work. Right now, the house is worth about $120,000. So, if you're handy, a great deal can be had. A 2/2 apartment will rent for about $400.00 to $800.00 a month. A 2/2 house will rent from $600.00 on up depending on the area. Sales tax is 8.1%

Gasoline is about $1.25 to $1.75 a gallon, depending on the grade you buy. I'm under the impression that food is pretty damn cheap where I live. The down side to living in my area is there isn't many high paying jobs.

From what I understand, though, just 280 miles away in Seattle, an average 3/2 house is over $200,000. Am I right Mulan, Princess?

TR

Edited by - TR on 8 August 2002 22:18:55

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Well, as you may know the SF Bay Area is notorious for the housing cost.

3-bed/2-bath house costs about $400,000.00 - 500,000.00. If you have a house, you have to pay the property tax every year. And you have to have the home owner's insurance as well. This is why people like me would pay $2000/month rent. Many people here in the Bay Area spend nearly 50% of their income to pay for either mortgage or rent.

sigh........did I mention that the gasoline price is the highest in the nation as well: $1.80 per gallon and up.

Edited by - sunshineToo on 9 August 2002 2:12:39

Edited by - sunshineToo on 9 August 2002 2:14:46

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Sales Tax here in NC is 6 1/2% for non food items and 2% for food. I like MN idea of not having to pay tax on anything you eat or wear. The down side to that is that they have a much higher state tax then we have in NC.

• Princess
    Princess

You're right TR. I live in a 3/2 tri-level and it is worth $250,000. Property taxes are pretty low compared to other parts of the country. Our sales tax in Snohomish county is 9%. The cheapest gas I've seen this week was $1.35 a gallon. We are self employed and pay our own health insurance, it costs us $416 a month with a $500 deductible per person, per year. Totally sucks, but in an emergency or serious health problem it is totally necessary, especially with two kids.

<sigh> There is no perfect place to live, we just have to deal with what we have and turn it into our own little paradise.

Rachel

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

9% sales tax in your county, Princess????

That's the highest I ever heard for a sales tax in a US county/city. I wonder which one has the highest in America? About what Sunshine said, it is true about depending on the county. In the county that I live in FL, sales tax is 7% while the next county is 6.5%.

-Ajax

Edited by - AjaxMan on 9 August 2002 0:7:42

Edited by - AjaxMan on 9 August 2002 0:8:19

Edited by - AjaxMan on 9 August 2002 0:9:11

Edited by - AjaxMan on 9 August 2002 0:10:1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit