Mental illness forget the statistics count who you

by rekless 20 Replies latest jw friends

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I think imho, that 100% of all of the people on the face of the earth , have some form of mental illness. How could we all not, the things we see, things we hear, things we have been thru, there is no way to live this life without being damaged in some way or another. Some are just cursed to get more than their fair share of mental illness. Everyone on this earth has their little pet peeves, their viewpoints, ideas, who is the master decider of what is normal and what is not. If you look close at the best person you know , you will find some little thing that is off about them. You don't even have to be looking for it, sooner or later , something will show up, then you realize you are not the only crazy one around.

• badapple
    badapple

The problem with mental illness is that it's a disease that up until recently, no one would talk about. Even now with all the information readily available on depression and mental illness it's still something that for many sufferers is hard to discuss. This makes it even more difficult to cope with. There's also that feeling that it's all in your head, that you should just get over it.

You will find that you will come across many people from all walks of life with mental illness. People around you - the friendly neighbour, a fellow worker who is always laughing, an outgoing friend, the family member who always makes you smile & your bubbly hairdresser who listens to all YOUR complaints while she does your hair etc..etc..You don't know who i'm talking about, because you don't know who they are. They hide it so well. Most sufferers of this terrible illness will NEVER want you to know. I guess it would be especially hard for a brother or sister to talk about it, because they are in god's organisation, they have Jehovah to lean on after all. They are his happy people. We can't go around being sad. That would make us not spiritually strong enough, not relying on Jehovah.

These are feelings and emotions that are in the mind of the sufferer, not necessarily any one else's. That's another reason this disease is so hard to fight. Depression affects your mind, making it very difficult to think clearly. Even when wonderful people around you are trying to help.

It's great how a broader understanding of this illness is being accomplished and so many people are aware of how serious it is. There are probably many situations where medication is prescribed too readily, & I don't agree with patients being put on anti-depressants when there could be other ways of treating this person. However, it's important to look at the whole picture, & really which is the better option. Life as a living hell and an almost daily mental anguish (depending on the severity), or medication that might help relieve some of the symptons or at least help you cope with them.

I think it's excellent this subject is being discussed. I think you could never know enough about it.And yes I have been a victim. I've had post-natal depression. Never thought it would happen to me. I have friends & family affected by it too.

I've recovered now, I'm one of the lucky ones. If you do have this illness, just remember that you can fight it, even if you have to take medication. So what? Don't let anyone make you feel bad about doing that. There are enough things in this world to feel bad about. And if you know someone who is depressed, the best thing you can do is LISTEN. Just be there. Let them talk.

Well, this is my first post, and I hope i haven't baffled on too much. Really happy to have found this site, with so many caring people.

BadApple

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

Hi BAD APPLE !!

Nice to hear another new voice :o)

I know what you mean about hiding the illness from others .... I have several masks, depending on person and situation, that I hide behind.....

• Dia
    Dia

I like this very simple criteria of mental health for its succinctness:

Can you remember the past?

Can you deal with the present?

Can you plan for the future?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    So just everybody just count and you will be closed to reality than many surveys.

No you won't. Firstly, you haven't provided an operational definition of mental illness. Secondly, you have no way of verifying the information you receive, and thirdly, the results will necessarily be skewed as those who knew no JWs with mental illness are unlikely to reply.

• badapple
    badapple

Dizzy Cat

Thank you for your welcome.

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

The DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) is used by many psychiatrists, psychologists, and other mental health professionals to diagnose mental illness and mental disorders. There is a full page definition of mental disorder in it's introduction. In part:

"In DSM-IV, each of the mental disorders is conceptualized as a clinically significant behavioral or psychological distress (e.g., a painful symptom) or disability (i.e., impairment in one or more important areas of functioning) or with a significantly increased risk of suffering death, pain, disability, or an important loss of freedom. In addition, this syndrome or pattern must not be merely an expectable and culturally sanctioned response to a particular event, for example, the death of a loved one. Whatever its original cause, it must currently be considred a manifestation of behavioral, psychological, or biological dysfunction in the individual." [DSH-IV, American Psychiatric Association, , 4th Edition, C-1994]

Most people manifest qualities described in the DSM's criteria for various personality disorders. Many people exhibit symptoms of depression and other serious mental disorders throughout their lifetime. However, it is when these qualities and symptoms interfere with several areas daily living that mental health professionals can diagnosis/classify mental illness. And mental illness is usually not diagnosed unless there is a serious likelihood of grave disability or serious harm to self, others, or property. But not always...there are many who can put on "masks" (professionally we call this 'presents well'). But these folks are usually incredibly miserable. Their friends, family, co-workers may not know they are experiencing an inner hell.

JWs as a society promote dysfunctional behaviour. They seem (hate to be so general here) to only function within their own confines. They do not function well outside of their world. "Loss of freedom" seems to stand out in my mind as one area JWs fit well. I believe there is another thread discussion about whether or not mental illness can be encouraged. From personal experience I know that coming from a family background where we children were never good enough and then listening to 5 meetings a week, reading in literature and hearing at conventions/assemblies that we needed to do more and basically were never good enough, I certainly became depressed. Couple that with inadequate choices for dealing with depression and you have the perfect recipe for depressive disorders and suicide, perhaps even homicide.

I am by no means an expert, just have worked in the mental health industry for more than 10 years. I spend more time with mental health professionals and the mentally ill than most people spend with their families. But just had to give my inflated 2 cents worth.

Mrs Rocky

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

I think they all have problems..they just refuse to talk about it!.....

Golden Girl...

Edited by - Golden Girl on 11 August 2002 2:4:10

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

It doesn't seem that the point of contention here is whether the incidence of mental illness is greater in THE ORG. or on the outside. Once again, as with so many of the problems common to the human experience, the pressing question is: HOW ARE Y0U TAKING ACCOUNTABITITY FOR THEM. As one elder said to me at my reinstatement committee " We alls got dysfunction! " Where did they learn the word? I'm siding with rekless; mental illness is just as rampant in the org. as out, so call a spade a spade, cuz there's a big difference in living with a treated illness as opposed to an untreated one.

• rosalyn
    rosalyn

No stats. Just a situation to relate:

In 1968 my mother was hospitalized for pneumonia. Had always suffered with respiratory problems. When I was born she had pneumonia. Only had one lung. Doctors removed bad lung when she was 17 years old(not a witness then) Consequently after years of being physically ill she suffered serious depression in 1968, saw a psychiatrist and took anti-depressants. Doctor suggested that when she was physically healthy again she might try going to work outside the home which she did.

In the late 60's there was still much condemnation for anyone seeking help from a "shrink". I can say that my mother "pioneered" the way for others to seek help from the professionals. She was extremely well liked so when she did something others felt they could look to her as an example.

And she did work outside the home as well. The extra money was nice but I hated looking after my two younger siblings and getting the meals ready after school. Yet at the same time I learned responsiblity. Very few "sisters" held secular jobs at that time and once again, she set the tempo.

She had other bouts with depression due to physical illness over the years leading up to her death in 1978. But she was never looked upon as weak......Others were not as fortunate.

When I was at my grandma's funeral last year I was "allowed" to go the luncheon afterwards. While at the sandwich table I overheard "sister" Terry suggesting to Jackie, a teenage "sister" that a particular counsellor at the local hospital might be able to help her with some of the problems she was dealing with. My daughter went to school with Jackie told me some sad tales about how everyone was so awful to this Jackie. Not even the witness kids would hang out with her. My conclusion? The loving sister Terry couldn't be bothered with her either. Very sad don't you think?

rosalyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit