Changes for Volunteers at Conventions and Assemblies in Spain

by RayPublisher 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• prologos
    prologos
    Union power?
  • rebel8
    rebel8

In Spain, does the legal system have liability lawsuits for injuries?

----

I can understand not having volunteers up on high ladders or providing medical care, but cleaning? Seems like there's little risk to mopping or wiping chairs off.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

How long will it take to find out the real reason?

They never tell the truth about why the change things.

• JustVisting
    JustVisting
    Could it have anything to do with labor laws and/or social security reations (or lack thereof)?
  • AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

In principle the changes are a good thing - for any organisation - In my country [South Africa] there would be OSHA and labour issues that could come into play. I am not aware of any changes here as I am out of the Borg.

Of course when young and single these pre-convention / convention / post convention activities were wonderful opportunities to scope out the talent and get acquainted. They were always well supported.

• Fencing
    Fencing
    I never understood why the Society, about 15-20 or so years ago in the US, started insisting on packing, shipping and setting up their own sound equipment in arenas and other venues with perfectly good sound systems that they could easily tie into. Seemed like a huge waste of money and time for no determinable benefit.
  • Gayle
    Gayle

So, maybe should be a different thread. I know these conventions are JW tradition. Probably, for two reasons, money maker, a time for releases of new light in bound book form, and a good hype for JWs to see in large groups. Teenagers and others could meet and work together in cafeterias and refreshment stands or 'clean' together. Most also did some door to door work in the mornings years ago at the conventions.

However, now, 'new light' can be internet downloaded, everyone can watch talks and cartoons/videos on their screens anyway, even the talks by their GB gods. Their packed lunches are uneventful.

Arenas are costly, when the WT has a new primary mission of building 'windowed' KHs.

Is it possible, for the WT to change this tradition only inviting a selected group to a big convention, video tape it back to the KHs for the peons to watch on TV. Guess not quite as dramatic, however, this is what big political rallys do and final sports games do and have no problem to carry on their fervor.

After all, all other religions have no problem carrying on their religion for decades without the cost of three convention sites to travel.

They could develop a once a yearly baptism program for qualified dunkies and their family. Having a big convention or assembly for a handful of baptisms, mostly of JW youth, is no longer dramatic for an expensive convention site.

Seems it could change some day. Obviosly, the WT has been downsizing how many days donventions are, Could downsize to one a year, for anuual baptism, etc.

• under the radar
    under the radar

There may be several reasons, but I can think of at least two. One, the liability involved when a volunteer is injured or injures someone else while "on duty." Two, it may a way to gouge even more contributions from the "brothers."

I can just hear them whining about how high the expenses are now, and that they should be grateful that the Governing Body has lovingly relieved them of all this hard work that would have prevented them from enjoying every morsel of fresh steaming Spiritual Food©, and that they know the brothers will respond with an open hand to cover these expenses. Blah, blah, blah...

One things for certain: the changes will benefit the Society in some way, either through more contributions extracted from the masses or through reduced liability and insurance costs, maybe both. I doubt the effect on individual members was even a factor.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I don't think it's so much Wt wanting to change. It's more legislation forcing them them to change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit