things to do before you die

by teejay 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Ahh Teejay you're strummin' my pain.

What complicates matters was brought out by brother LB's comment. The high incidences of depression among JWs indicate that they may not be so ignorantly blissful after all.

When you never thought you'd graduate grade school in this system, and instead your grandchildren are graduating college, a tiny voice way, way back in the recesses of your mind starts telling you that you've been lied to. Of course "in for a penny, in for a pound." If people like your mother (or my grandparents) can convince themselves that they're happy for the last few years of their lives, then good for them, I suppose.

Either way, those of us on this board know the truth, and we really can work on our Lifes To-Do Lists... anybody got Halle Berrys phone number?

Hmmm

Edited by - hmmm on 7 August 2002 19:26:11

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

I don't want to shatter anyones happiness. I try to keep people from getting into the borg, but if they have been living for it for years and years, I don't want to cause that pain to them. I wouldn't want my wife ot leave. It would be too much of a shock to find out everything you lived for was a load of crap. It is VERY SAD to think that people put off being happy and doing the things they want in life to serve at a publishing company. They think they have all the time in the world. Its so sad I don't want to tell them they are wrong. They are going to grow old and die, just like the billions of other people through all history. I can't imagine the trauma they must feel once the few who leave after many years feel. The ONE life they have is GONE and WASTED. If people are happy, if they don't hold back things in life for a later time, than thats great. I'm sure there are witnesses like that. But I feel bad for the ones who sit on their ass or slave their lives away, thinking they will have another shot later.

• Derrick
    Derrick

I deleted my post- could not fix bizaar format/display errors. :( (Simon - the screen widens andhtml code displays even after I fix it.)

Edited by - Derrick on 7 August 2002 17:34:37

Edited by - Derrick on 7 August 2002 17:36:46

• teejay
    teejay

Laura,

(You know you're one of my faves, right? I always look for your posts, and not just to me.)

The thing about what Mama said? I was 'there' not long ago. Right there. I was diagnosed professionally (if you know what I mean) as having been "a believer." (greatest two words ever spoken to me, btw, considering the ground I've been able to cover since.)

So is my mom. A "believer," that is. Since I had been exactly where she is, I couldn't denounce her or ridicule her or... whatever. I was completely at a loss for words (fertile ground for me!). Her being my Mama prolly added to the mix.

It boils down to: people want answers. We all jus' wanna know. I mean... KNOW. They (we) are tired of *not* knowing; tired of trying to figure things out all the time, often alone, life's mysteries. We want a Jehovah, a governing body, somebody... anybody, to come along and just give us the black and white. "here's the deal." Make everything simple. Ya know?

Point is... when Mama said what she said... about not dyin'... about doing all the things she wanted to do in the New World, part of me, deep down, nodded and smiled. I could relate.

Cause I know. This life is hard. Like Prince said, "in this life, you're on your own."

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Hey Teejay.

Know whatcha mean. My mother passed away with the same thoughts and beliefs your mother seems to have. Two sisters went the same route and one brother still here waiting. All but 2 of my children are out and they have the same sort of giddy outlook on things.

Like you I am often at a loss for words, because they will not accept what I say and it will only bring them more stress.

But unlike your mother they don't seem so happy or trusting. Just kind of irritated all the time. I even think that seeing my freedom is an irritant to them.

Like you I try to be there for them when needed, even though they don't return the effort.

But you know? I find all of this is much better for me than still being in the borg. If this is the price we must pay I am glad to pay it.

I am emotionally much better and much more at ease and happy than at any time in my life. I credit my other children leaving the borg, to my departure. This kind of said it may be ok for them also.

Hang in there Teejay who knows what the future may bring to your mother, she could change her beliefs. If being in the borg. doesn't cause her undue stress, I guess just let her be.

Hey, the best of everything to you and yours.

• TR
    TR

Sad. She's one of many 'hovahs that say they ain't gonna die. Many who said that did in fact die. Sad.

TR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit