The plight of the black man

by RR 24 Replies latest social current

• minimus
    minimus

JT...I have read the comments in the WT. about Reverend Draper's "conversion". Where do they get this stuff? Do you think there was ever such a person? Could he have had a pigmentation disease that made him look like ex brother Jackson?.........whadya think?

• RR
    RR

Well, in their defense, I should say that we know things today that were not known then. Yes, obviously this man had some from of skin cancer that pigmented his skin. However considering that 99.9% of the Christian churches believed that the black man is black because he was cursed, for one to turn white all of a sudden is a "miracle" in itself. miracle because of ignorance, both by medical science and religion.

I think it is only fair that it should be known that the article in question is NOT an article published by the Society, but was an article republished in the Watch Tower from a secular newspaper.

CAN RESTITUTION CHANGE THE ETHIOPIAN'S SKIN?

----------

The following, from the New York World, is the third we have seen reported. These suggest and illustrate the process of restitution soon due. The item reads,--

"FROM BLACK TO WHITE HE SLOWLY TURNED."

"PARKERSBURG, W. VA., Sept. 8.--It has fallen to the lot of the Rev. Wm. H. Draper, pastor of the Logan Memorial Church, of Washington Conference, A.M.E. Church, of this town, to give a living affirmative answer to the famous Biblical question, "Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard his spots?" Though once as black as charcoal, the Rev. Mr. Draper is now white. His people say that his color was changed in answer to prayer. Many years ago Draper was employed by a fair-skinned man, and he was often heard to remark that if he could only be white like his employer he would be happy.

While in the white man's service Draper 'experienced' religion. "From that day forward he prayed constantly and fervently that he might become white. Thirty years ago his prayer began to be answered. He first experienced a prickling sensation on his face, and upon close investigation found a number of small white spots scarcely larger than the point of a pin. He became alarmed, thinking he had some peculiar disease, but he did not suffer, and aside from the prickling sensation felt nothing unusual. Gradually the white spots became larger and extended themselves, until now, after the change has been in progress for over thirty years, Draper has not a single dark spot on his body.

"Many years ago, before this strange metamorphosis took place, Mr. Draper was in charge of the same church he has now. He was popular with his flock and his departure was a source of great regret..When he recently returned to Parkersburg there was great rejoicing among the churchmen because their favorite pastor was coming back. When, however, Draper appeared in the pulpit the first Sunday, not one of the congregation recognized him. In fact, it was all he could do to convince them that he, a white man, was the same old black preacher they had years before."

As to the white people in China, I have not found that quote, so if you can give us a little bit more to go on, I can see what I can find. There is an articl title "The negro not a beast" and it is a review of a book written by someone claiming to have proof of such. Russell basically demolished that thought, and although he mentioned china and white people, the quote you gave does not exist.

• LDH
    LDH

LOL.....Crenshaw and Slauson. I almost felt like I was listening to Snoop Dogg.

Can I get a ????

Lisa

• amac
    amac

RR - thanks for the post and being fair on the subject. I haven't seen this book yet, but I'll have to hunt it down as I'm curious what the point of the book is. That the WT is down with the Nation of Islam???

• Valis
    Valis

My best friend while I was a JW and for many years afterwrads was a black guy. David and I spent many years growing up together and getting into trouble and one public rebuke. *L* Well, there were several events that JW kids hosted and many times they would not invite him. It always struck me as odd that such righteous people were bigots deep down inside. It also hurt his feelings immensely, as you all know how important it is for teens to have acceptance among thier so called peers. Well, if David didn't go then I didn't go. They would be revelling in good spiritual association and we would be out skateboarding the streets of Dallas or fishing w/a six pack of beer...I am also happy to report that after being out of touch with him for several years he emailed me the other day. Brings back a few bad memoris and a whole lot of good ones.

As well, my parents have always been closet bigots. They always tried to warn my sister off dating black guys and what did she do when she got out from thier roof? Yep..married the first black guy that would give her the time of day. He was a really bad person and did her wrong, because he had one too many bad habits, but he did help bring about a spot of joy to the world and some irony along with it. My parents now have two lovely grandchildren by him and I think are having a bit of humble pie. *L*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the "nappy roots" class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit