Compensation after 30 years

by umbertoecho 14 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Of course money doesn't take away the hurt, but sometimes that is the only recourse we have to get some level of justice for a great wrong. There is no shame in standing up for yourself or your children and fighting for that.

I have seen some here defend Candace Conti by saying she was more interested in getting the Watchtower to change its shameful practices than getting a large settlement, and I believe it to be the case as well, but that doesn't mean it's wrong to seek or get just compensation. It's all about the money with this organization, they will only change their ways when it becomes unprofitable not to do so.

Good for you for fighting for yourself and your daughters.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Reading your post brought tears to my eyes, both of joy for the victory and of sadness for knowing how extremely difficult it must have been standing alone.

Very brave of you and your children!!

I wish you all well.

• flipper
    flipper
    Thanks for telling us your story and your daughter's story. I'm so happy for your daughters that they received compensation. You are a brave mom to stand up for your daughters and protect them and guide them. I hope the rest of your life and your daughter's lives will be full of happiness and you are all able to heal fully from the injustices you all suffered. Take care, peace out, Mr. Flipper
  • umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

Thank you all.

It's worth fighting isn't it? And yes, the dreadful worldly magistrate and the detectives turned out to be the most humane and decent people.

I however.......brought reproach on Gods name. What a joke it is. It feels so great to have a bit of justice and it may help to encourage others. I was afraid the day would never come that I could feel vindication for myself and my children. For the last year I have been waiting and waiting for the outcome. Now we have it.

My daughter is studying medicine and this money will really help her.

Thankyou so much. I feel like getting drunk.........Happy drunk.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    umbertoecho: A man who must have had experience in grooming. To be fair, my family did not know, but when I took him to court in the eighties, things were so different. It was not done to take such a dirty thing to court. To do so was to admit to being a rotten parent. I saw it differently. I wanted his name etched for all time in the records, as a paedophile.
    There was no support for me or my children. No family member or close related friends wanted to be near such a disaster. I must say that the detectives and the magistrate were so fantastic though. They were the ones who stayed by us in this horrible experience. The magistrate slammed his hand down hard when the perps lawyer tried to cast doubt as to my mothering capacity. He really slammed hard on the desk and it was loud. He (the magistrate) gave no quarter to this slimy lawyer ( disbarred later on by the way).

You must be a very strong person, or perhaps your righteous outrage gave you strength that you did not know you had.

I remember those days when no-one wanted to discuss this problem, and any media mention would be a brief paragraph or two. And no-one (seemingly) knew the full extent of the problem. And, at times, it seems that those in authority were protecting offenders, so you were indeed fortunate to have fair-minded police and magistrate in the case you mention.

The problem of "protection' of offenders goes back centuries. Recent research from Cambridge University academics suggest, that during the reign of Elizabeth the first, kidnappers of young boys for sexual service in the entertainment industry may have had the protection of the Queen.

Readers on this topic may be interested in the writings of a man who likely has a deep understanding of the problem of child abuse in the Catholic church. His name is Richard Sipe and this is a link to part of his web-site:

http://www.awrsipe.com/Comments.html

The page I've linked to has some articles that discuss the problem, mainly in the context of that church. And, there are some interesting points that he makes. For example, in this article: http://www.awrsipe.com/Comments/2006-01-30-Spot_an_Abuser.html

Sipe estimates that there are likely some 100,000 Catholic victims of child abuse whose tormentors were priests and bishops. Statistically, the number of JW victims must be less, but the pattern is the same - the abuse is often by those with authority. If you explore his site, you may find his explanations of why there are so many child sex offenders in Christianity.

For his trouble Sipe has been the victim of attacks by his fellow church members, which I point out to demonstrate that your experience is not unique. In fact its common.

Here's one such attack: http://www.themediareport.com/2013/08/07/richard-sipe-ex-priest/

Your experience must be comforting to those in similar situations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit