JWs and the Amish

by Silverleaf 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

i don't know about the amish, but they think mormons are weird and a cult. (well, my witness relatives do anyway). i think it has something to do with wedding night sheets and underwear, seriously. some mormon woman defected and wrote an expose' about it. she was from arizona too... at least the amish give you a year when you come of age to explore... what am i saying? they're ALL whacked.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

http://www.geocities.com/Amish2350/Angie.html

Some snippets from the above website (sound familiar?):

Ed, another ex-Amish also mentions how as a child, he spent most of his time doing chores. Unlike other children his age, he could not enjoy playing baseball, fishing, swimming, and other leisurely activities
    Yet another fault that ex-Amish find with their culture is the fact that for the most part, they are limited to an eighth grade education. Amish parents reject sending their youth to public high schools because they feel high school would stir aspirations, raise occupational hopes and generally steer youth away from the Amish community
    Because of these limitations, Amish youth are unable to fulfill their dreams of furthering their education. A further implication of not being able to obtain higher education is that Amish are relegated to jobs that require manual labor.
    Perhaps the most negative aspect about living or being in an Amish community is that every action that an individual makes is scrutinized by the community. People who have left the Amish community say that one reason they leave is because they feel that the Amish are people who are more concerned with rules and telling people how to live their lives than with true spirituality.
    Some individuals in Amish communities do not understand why technology cannot be used, feel overworked, deprived of knowledge and opportunities, as well as constrained and criticized. They feel that the Amish way of life is not a spiritual life but rather a way of life that is governed by man-made rules.
  • JT
    JT

As you can see Armish are no different than jw ONLY WINDOW DRESSINGS ARE DIFFERENT

http://www.amishabuse.com/

• JT
  • outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

You know when that lady left the Amish comunity she also came to no longer believe her family religion. She forsook the Amish which brought REPROACH on them.

SHE IS AN APOSTATE.

Since jw's hate apostates how come they let her join them?

This religious thing is so confusing. I tried to please them all and none of them appreciated me.

Then I tried only to please the wbts. You know what? They won't let you please them. No matter how hard you work it is not enough!

So I thought I would quit trying to do enough. I would concentrate on getting it right!

You know what! You can't get it right. When one finally accepts a new regulation, a little later they cancel or change it! I couldn't keep up.

So I quit the wbts so they would not have to worry about me any more. You know what? You can't quit! They have to officially kick one out.

You know what? It is not over then either. They tell all my relatives to not talk to me. But they want me back in. If they can't talk to me How do they get me back in?

You know what? When they all quit talking to me it got kind of peaceful.

You know what? I have a friend he is a Frizbaterian. He wants me to come to the park and partake in their worship. They throw frizbies for an hour with their dogs on sunday mornings.

You know what? I think that is a religion I might be able to handle. Then he tells me to be sure to bring a pooper scooper. I gotta think this thing through.

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Interesting story, Elsewhere. What strikes me is this woman was disturbed by the idea of the dead suffering in torment and was happy to discover that was not the 'truth' yet apparently she's not bothered by the idea of 99.9% of the population dying at Armageddon.

Silverleaf

• larc
    larc

JT, thank you for putting up the amish abuse website. Everyone here should take the time to read the entire book that is posted there. The website will show you that things are awful in other religions and other places. Please take the time to read this. You will see how much we have in common with xAmish.

• Larry
    Larry

Thanks for the AmishAbuse.com Website - I can't wait to read about them.

Peace - LL

• Stealth
    Stealth

Beware of the Amish Computer Virus....

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/amish.html

Edited by - stealth on 5 August 2002 20:3:52

• chezza
    chezza

Interesting topic, my husband has now observed a little of what the jws are like because of my ex and my children, his comment to me is it reminds him of the amish people how they keep seperate and stuff, my comment is that jws are hypocritical in these respect of really keeping seperate from the world, if it was so important then they would have their own communitys and not need to go "out into the world", why would you place children, teenagers in fact into a world where everything glitters and shines and them tell them that they cant have any of it, why not have a jw school, so they are not tempted to do the world ways of the other kids. If they really want to be seperate then maybe they should live like the amish.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit