WEDDING OF DISFELLOWEDSHIPPED FAMILY MEMBER

by Blueblades 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Hi to everyone.Recently i read an article about whether it is appropriate to attend the wedding of a disfellowedshipped family member.I cannot find it now.Can someone please help me to find it.Or,if you know the answer to that QRF.In a recent article,could you please discuss it here for me.Thanks,Blueblades.

• Solace
    Solace

I thought it was still a shun-shun situation unless the society is bending on the issue. I suppose it may also depend where the wedding is taking place. My uncle wouldnt attend his own daughters wedding because it was at a Catholic church. Her sister didnt have the heart to actually miss the wedding so she stood outside on the church steps. So sad.

• Francois
    Francois

I remember that article. It was a real scream

First, the article went on at length about how this was certainly a personal decision and how the GB wouldn't dream of telling anyone what to do.

THEN, the next few paragraphs went on to dictate EXACTLY what loyal Christians (mindless fanatics) would do and think and say under the circumstances. Those paragraphs were full of weasel words, and even more weasely reasoning.

As we say in cooking: WHAT A CROCK!!

-francois

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

ooh! they always do that! they say it's a "matter of conscience" and that it's an individual choice, but then they go to great lengths to explain and include examples of what "wise" witnesses would do, and then they say "be like so-and-so". no wonder they don't get no respect. how can you respect someone who doesn't have the cajones to tell t like it really is? what wimps...

• outnfree
    outnfree

I don't know the answer, Blueblades, but welcome to the Board!

Are you a skater?

outnfree

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I have gone to many a wordly wedding on my in laws' side of family, many in churches, so that we could 'give a good witness'.
    Recently, my df'd son was getting married and funny....in laws wouldn't come.
    I asked why we could be pressured into going into wordly churches and drinking with them after, and he(father in law, newly baptized) could not bring himself to just sit in the back and be there for my son.
    I am NOT gonna forgive him for this ridiculous bullshit.
    This from the same wonderful 'papa' who recently has taken my son, for the last time i might add, to see his uncle who has mailed anti-witness material to the family, hears the rest of grandma's side of family speak wistfully of the great grandpa who abused the grandkids and who grabbed my ass at my own wedding.
    Can someone please just shoot me and get it over with?

• somebody
    somebody

The new Kingdom Ministry refers JWs to see 9/15/81 Watchtower regarding how to treat disfellowshipped people, and disfellowshipped relatives.

This might be what youre looking for, Blueblades. Hope it helps, and welcome to the discussion board.

*** w81 9/15 30 If a Relative Is Disfellowshiped . . . ***
    SOCIAL GATHERINGS AND DISFELLOWSHIPED RELATIVES

22 Normally, relatives are often together at meals, picnics, family reunions or other social gatherings. But when someone has unrepentantly pursued sin and has had to be disfellowshiped, he may cause difficulties for his Christian relatives in regard to such gatherings. While they realize that they are still related to him, they do not want to ignore Pauls advice that faithful Christians should quit mixing in company with an expelled sinner.

23 There is no point in looking for some rule as to family members being at gatherings where a disfellowshiped relative might be present. This would be something for those concerned to resolve, in keeping with Pauls counsel. (1 Cor. 5:11) And yet it should be appreciated that if a disfellowshiped person is going to be at a gathering to which nonrelative Witnesses are invited, that may well affect what others do. For example, a Christian couple might be getting married at a Kingdom Hall. If a disfellowshiped relative comes to the Kingdom Hall for the wedding, obviously he could not be in the bridal party there or give away the bride. What, though, if there is a wedding feast or reception? This can be a happy social occasion, as it was in Cana when Jesus attended. (John 2:1, 2) But will the disfellowshiped relative be allowed to come or even be invited? If he was going to attend, many Christians, relatives or not, might conclude that they should not be there, to eat and associate with him, in view of Pauls directions at 1 Corinthians 5:11

peace,

somebody

• blondie
    blondie

It always amazes me how JWs are so worried about association with DF'd at weddings but have no problem watching an R-rated movie on cable at home where they associate with murderers.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

I am NOT gonna forgive him for this ridiculous bullshit

I know exactly how you feel.

I hold the Jehovah's Witnesses in contempt for their hypocritical, destructive practices.

• The shunning of family members.
    • The breaking up of households.
    • The death of innocent people due to the ever-changing blood doctrine.
    • The hiding of pedophilia within their ranks to protect the image of the book-publishing corporation.

FUCK the Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Thank you for responding.OUTNFREE,No im not a skater.FRANCOIS ,do you remember when the article was printed.SOMEBODY,the article was written this year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit