DA letter supplementary - will this finally do it?

by alliwannadoislive 10 Replies latest jw friends

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

I DA'd back in February and have been receiving fortnightly attempts to visit me ever since - two weeks ago I received a note through my door with a copy of a letter stating the "Truth" from the Bethel ... I can't leave it at that, so this is what I mailed today ... I hope I haven't made any big mistakes in it - my thanks to www.randytv.com for helping me with the sources I used

Dear xxxxx,

Thank you for your letter of xx July and copy of the letter from the London Bethel.

I have spent quite some time thinking this over and researching the issue further on the internet. Ive tried to limit this to information from neutral organisations, particularly that of the United Nations itself, which I dont think has anything to gain from deceit.

Taking the Bethel letter issue by issue:

purpose for registering to have access to research material at the United Nations library facility.

See Appendix 1 (I included a copy of info at http://www.un.org/Depts/dhl/services.htm#access )

It appears that anyone can access the UNBIS database, and access to the central Dag Hammarskjld library is also available to organisations other than NGOs. It is also possible for anyone to request any publication from any UN library through one of the worldwide network of UN depository libraries.

Registration papers filed with the UN contain no statements that conflict with our Christian beliefs. Moreover, NGOs are informed by the UN that association of NGOs with the DPI does not constitute their incorporation into the UN system

criteria for association of NGOs at least in their latest version contain some language that we cannot subscribe to.

See Appendix 2, 3, 4 (I included copies of 2 letters from UN which are posted on Randy TV site thanks Randy and NGO info from http://www.un.org/MoreInfo/ngolink/brochure.htm )

There appears to be an overwhelming amount of information to confirm that NGOs are supportive of the UN charter and principles. Also, that this has not changed since the Society joined in 1991. In fact, the criteria used by the DPI for accrediting NGOs was officially listed in the Resolutions passed in 1968 by the United Nations Economic and Social Council.

Interestingly, the following is a quote attributed to Robert Muller in the June 1, 1991 Watchtower, (page 17, in the article Their Refuge A Lie!).

no less than twenty-four Catholic organizations are represented at the UN. Several of the world's religious leaders have visited the international organization. Most memorable were the visits of His Holiness Pope Paul VI during the General Assembly in 1965 and of Pope John Paul II in 1979. Many religions have special invocations, prayers, hymns and services for the United Nations. The most important examples are those of the Catholic, the Unitarian-Universalist, the Baptist and the Bahai faiths.

However, this is the quote in full, as written by Robert Muller:

"Prayer And Meditation At The United Nations"-- Robert Muller

"Prayer, meditation and spirituality at the UN are fascinating subjects . All major world religions are accredited to the United Nations as non-governmental organizations. For example, no less than twenty-four Catholic organizations are represented at the UN. Several of the world's religious leaders have visited the international organization. Most memorable were the visits of His Holiness Pope Paul VI during the General Assembly in 1965 and of Pope John Paul II in 1979. Many religions have special invocations, prayers, hymns and services for the United Nations. The most important examples are those of the Catholic, the Unitarian-Universalist, the Baptist and the Bahai faiths. It is a common practice of the Unitarian-Universalists to display the United Nations flag in their houses of worship. So does the Holy Family Church, the parish church of the UN, with its international reliquary and its many religious services and activities catering to world peace and to the international community. ( http://www.robertmuller.org/)

Why would the sentence in red have been removed? I can actually remember reading this article at the time and thinking how privileged I was to belong to an organisation upholding Jehovahs principles. It seems I was wrong as this piece of writing effectively included the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society alongside those 24 Catholic organisations.

For a balanced view of the UN see The Watchtower of October 1, 1995

See Appendix 5 (I included a copy of the info at http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/materials/articles.htm )

It appears that the Society submitted a further magazine article to the UN as evidence of their satisfying the criteria for continued membership as an NGO.I also remember reading this article and thinking that it was unusual and puzzling to see the UN being treated as a good organisation.

In conclusion

I said in my disassociation letter that I do not and never would seek to weaken your faith or to work against you. That is not the purpose of this letter. I am aware that you have kindly sought to discuss this matter with me, but as you can see, my heart is set. I consider the Society have unforgivably compromised themselves and I could never associate myself with them again.

I also understand, although with sadness, that this includes association with the people within the organisation. The principle that I have prepared myself for is highlighted in paragraph one of the Kingdom Ministry article on Display Christian Loyalty When a Relative Is Disfellowshipped (August 2002).

May Jehovah continue to bless you and your family as well as the ones in the congregation who truly serve the one true God.

Yours sincerely,

alliwannadoislive

NB

My original DA letter is at http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=18986&site=3 although I did tidy it up a bit before I sent it.

Edited by - alliwannadoislive on 2 August 2002 20:41:26

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

very powerful letter. I now want to read your original letter.

Marilyn

• Swan
    Swan

You would think they would get the message. Unfortunately, they tend to drag it on. My letter was very straight and to the point.

"Due to changes in my life that are in conflict with the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses, I no longer want to be known as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. That is all I am willing to say on the matter, so there is no need for the committee to visit me."

Seems simple enough, but I kept getting calls, eventually an elders meeting, and a final conference call after that. Finally I was rid of them.

Good luck with this latest letter. It looks pretty convincing to me, but then, I'm not a stubborn dubby anymore!

Tammy

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Alliwannado

Excellent letter! There are alot of points in there that i would like to use in my letter, when the day comes.

Free

• outnfree
    outnfree

GREAT Letter, alli! (as was your original! )

I should think that this one WILL make them accept your disassociation, and that you'll be free very shortly.

Happy Life!

outnfree

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

How come they didn't leave you alone after you da'd? They did with me. No phone call to verify it was a letter I had written myself, no attempt to argue against the points in my letter, no visits at home, no nothing. OK, I wanted to leave and nothing would have made me go back but I was a bit put out that no-one thought I was worth even the slightest effort to turn me back. My letter nearly two years ago was the last contact I ever had with them.

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

thanks to all of you

marilyn - i put in a link if you want to see the original da letter

uggsducks & outnfree - my fingers are crossed - am looking forward to christmas lights in my front window this year

freefall - when it comes to writing it, go with your feelings friend !

iw ! - hey where have you been ? - you were sooooooooo lucky to have put them so firmly behind - but i can see where you're coming from - the reason is maybe they never really were friends - not like us in the (vitually) real world (((hugs)))

• Grunt
    Grunt

I thought it was a superb letter. I can see why they kept coming back though, as you were not condemning them personally nor were you too hard on the Organization. They probably hope they can help reason with you, show you that if "left to Jehovah" the Organization would square itself away and get out of the U.N. or stop teaching whatever it is that you think they are wrong on. After all, "Where else can you go?"
    I think your approach was/is a good one. Using the newspaper articles and keeping low key might get them to try to understand your point of view so they can "adjust" your thinking. That little bit of openmindedness might do them a lot of good. Maybe let in the recognition that the Society has been decietful. Anyway, I wish you all the best and hope that this does indeed accomplish what you want it to.

Grunt

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

cheers grunt - openmindedness is the key to happy life methinks - i could never have the superior attitude of a dub again

"when you lose small mind you free your life" (system of a down)

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Very nicely done!

I read a thread that says the WTS is registered as a charity group in UK. Doesn't this mean they are not recognized as a religion in UK?

uggsducks & outnfree - my fingers are crossed - am looking forward to christmas lights in my front window this year

Wooo...that is so tempting, too. But I have to be very sneaky, though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit