Is therapy the answer?

by ShaunaC 14 Replies latest watchtower medical

• waiting
    waiting

hey larc,

Why is it when you give someone your thoughts - it's two cents. But when someone asks - it's a penny for your thoughts. Someone's making money on this. Stephen Wright

Enjoy your dinner.

waiting

• rollercoaster
    rollercoaster

Hi larc,
    You are right, but I still have to find a way to be secure in my self-direction. I was raised with good morals, but also was never given the chance to make decisions for myself, and when I did, my parents quickly corrected me. The WT org., took over where my parents ended. I guess now I have the ability to make my decisions, but a lot of the times question the motive behind my decisions. I am still trying to break away from the society, and that is hard when business finances are involved. It's like kissing butt to stay in business. I hope within the next two years, I will be free of any society influences.
    The changes I have made and the new contacts in this room have been the most wonderful expereinces I've had in the last 5 years. (pathetic huh?) I guess I should get out more.
    I still need to know how to continue in following Bible principles and Jehovahs direction. What is his direction anyway?

Love ya!!!
    RC

• ShaunaC
    ShaunaC

Hi RC! Thanks for wondering about me. And thanks for earlier sharing your story. You sound much tougher than you give yourself credit for!

Your response to larc yesterday was right on target for me. Being able to be self-directed is harder than expected. I was raised a JW, married a JW at 18, and all the while was told what to do, say & think by the WT. I too have found it difficult to trust myself and my decisions. It's very frustrating to logically know why you react certain ways due to the background, and to know that I'm smart enough to be able to take care of myself in any way...and yet I'm always second guessing myself. Throw in the fact that I'm a young woman on top of that and the problem seems compounded.

As I've stated before, I'm moving shortly, so I'm holding off on therapy for now. May pursue it once I'm in my new city. For the moment I'm gaining much strength & direction from all of you on this forum. Especially from the many strong women who are not afraid to assert their opinion & view.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Have any of you read any books about building self-esteem or the like that you would reccommend?

Shauna

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Hi shauna,

Therapy can be good, makes you come to a decision of what u want through talking to others.

Sometimes talking to a total stranger, who has no preconceptions about you, no stance on how he/she views you,can be good.

Whether we talk to a therapist or not, all of us gain therapy through talking to friends, through talking on here, through talking to close relatives or just by going out clubbing and letting our hair down.

Time is the greatest healer, then life itself becomes the greatest therapy one can experience.

As for me i was married, self esteem can be knocked down for men too u know. I don't know your situation, but for me the best way to overcome a failed marriage is to have goals in life and something to focus upon. We're only here for a short while and have to make the most from it so be strong, look to the future...your future.

Seven- love the peom, i'm going to print it out and save it

Yours Paul (aka digderidoo)

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Shauna,
    I did go through therapy. As you probably remember from other posts, I had more than just the control issue.
    But I went through the crying uncontrollably thing. The great thing about therapy is that sometimes you go in for one specific issue and it tends to bring up other things that need to be taken care of just as much if not more than the original issue.
    A lot of good advice was given here. It is definitely important to see someone you are comfortable with. Some people need it some can work through without it. Only you can decide that.
    But I would definitely suggest you give it a try, if within a period of time that some of the problems you mentioned don't dissipate.
    Roller Coaster,
    I was amazed by some of the similiarities between us. Just seems like witness men cannot handle intelligent outspoken women. Thank god, I met Thinker, who likes it too. I am glad you found your guy!!! He will support you and help you work through your other issues. I too, think you don't give yourself enough credit. Sounds to me like "you have come a long way baby"!
    I would email you but your box is locked, if you would like to chat feel free to email me!
    TW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit