What the hell, what's the deal with Summons for Jury Service?

by James Mixon 30 Replies latest jw friends

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I've never been called and I've been on the voting rolls for at least 15 years. Then I hear that Maryland now uses drivers licenses to pull up prospective jurors and I've been driving for over 25 years!

Honestly, though, I don't know if I could sit in judgment of anyone after the years of JW judgment tyranny over every little thing.

James, I hope you don't have to pay for a doctor's visit just to get your paperwork signed!

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

GT: fortunately I have a yearly check-up, so he can take out his files and

state the same thing he have written over the pass 20 years, he will Never, Never

be able to serve.

• zimunzucz
    zimunzucz
    My state lets you off Jury duty when you turn 70-- just check the box and never be bothered again.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

zimunzucz: Yes it states "if under 70 years of age, a physician must complete Section E(Dr.)

if over 70 use Section D (Explain reason(s) for excuse or transfer here(if over 70 years of age,

explain medical condition. So two more years and and never be bothered again.

• zimunzucz
    zimunzucz
    During questioning for the jury selection, mention or ask about "jury nullification"-- That pretty much guarantees that you will be excused.
  • zimunzucz
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

You can always just tell the judge that you do not want to be involved with "Jews or Negros."

You will not have to worry about being on a jury.

Rub a Dub

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

The absolute real reason?

They apply your permanent excusal to your record but, over periods of time records have to be updated as people move in to and out of the county. Some agencies just provide the counties with names and addresses with no associated unique identifiers that would tie your new record to your old record. Many counties find it easier and faster to just purge and replace the complete driver's plus voter's lists that they pull jurors names from with a new one and deal with the fallout of permanently excused people having to re-prove their illnesses rather than go through the pain of trying to compare records and make assumptions about who is who.

In my county there is an attempt to do this, but it's not always perfect. Our drivers agency provides us with the driver's license number which allows us to maintain reliable information on permanent excusals, but the voter list we get is just names and addresses. The most flack comes from females who have married and changed their last names. With no unique identifier, there's no way to tell that Peggy Smith who used to live at 123 Maple Avenue is now Peggy Jones who lives on Elm Street.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like your county deletes the old and starts over every couple of years.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Received Summons last month (71 now) and no need for Dr. signature. RubaDud, that would have worked since I'am black. LOL

• sir82
    sir82

I was called for jury duty a few years back.

The latest, novel way to get out of it, according to virtually everyone in the room under 30:

"I have ADD, and I forgot to take my meds this morning".

Worked like a charm - every time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit