Who Can Name The First F&DS Members?

by Vanderhoven7 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

Until recent days the WTS said the anointed in the first century were the FDS.

*** w98 3/15 pp. 20-21 par. 10 Living Up to Christian Dedication in Freedom ***

To achieve this in the first century, a number of anointed Christians from the faithful and discreet slave class were chosen to represent the entire group.

-----------so do we start with the 12 apostles?

were the board of directors the FDS if it was not acknowledged until 1919.

*** w60 7/15 pp. 434-435 par. 13 The Awake “Faithful and Discreet Slave” ***

Let us consider what Jesus said further to his four disciples on that occasion when he was seated with them on the Mount of Olives. “Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics to give them their food at the proper time?” (Matt. 24:45) Note that now Jesus refers to the collective group as a “faithful and discreet slave,” the figure “slave” appropriately being in the singular. He says the “slave” must feed the “domestics,” the latter being in the plural. How was this done? Before his ascension into heaven Jesus emphasized to Peter such a feeding service three times: “Feed my young lambs. . . . Shepherd my little sheep. . . . Feed my little sheep.” (John 21:15-17) The sheep in Peter’s day were those of the “little flock” of anointed Christians who were eventually to number 144,000. (Luke 12:32) Here, then, we have the “domestics” or individuals who were faithfully fed by the congregation or slavelike organization through its overseers. Many years later Peter reminds the overseers that they must “shepherd the flock of God.”—1 Pet. 5:2.

and

*** bt chap. 14 p. 110 “We Have Come to a Unanimous Accord” ***

HOW THE GOVERNING BODY IS ORGANIZED TODAY

Like the first-century Christians, Jehovah’s Witnesses today are directed by a Governing Body of dedicated, spirit-anointed men representing “the faithful and discreet slave.” (Matt. 24:45) The Governing Body meets weekly as a group. Its members are also organized into the following six committees, each having its own responsibilities.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

W. E. Van Amburgh, J. F. Rutherford, A. H. Macmillan, R. J. Martin, F. H. Robinson, C. J. Woodworth, G. H. Fisher, G. De Cecca

It was Pastor Russell's wife, Maria (Moe-rye-uh) who came up with original idea of FDS applied to her husband Charles.

When Rutherford seized power, he was the sole leader (dismissing the directors who disagreed with him) and eventually gave up the pretense that Russell was directing and editing the Watchower from heaven.

• blondie
    blondie

W.E. Van Amburgh (did not get the beard memo) and wrote a book called the Way to Paradise in 1924 with some very interesting comments on 1925 and new world surroundings.

https://archive.org/details/TheWayToParadise

Clayton J Woodworth

http://pastorrussell.blogspot.com/2009/06/clayton-j-woodworth.html

Clayton and Fisher were the authors of the Finished Mystery.

Robinson

http://www.concordant.org/expohtml/FaithfulLaborers/co_laborers.html#robison

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Thank you Terry. I knew some WT historian out there could help.

Blondie thank you for the quotes. I've used the major quote in debate with a JW already on another forum. I'll check out the links soon.

Vander

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit