hands up ex-pioneers

by sleepy 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Jesika
    Jesika

I pioneered right after I got baptized, I was 14. I knew it was the next thing my dad would be hounding me to do. About 6months later I was df'd.

Jesika

• Preston
    Preston

I auxillary pioneered two months. The first month I auxillary pioneered, I did it the month after I graduated from high school. It was all a blur, I didn't remember that much. The second time I pioneered I only got 44 hours in. Interestingly, I never got counsel because of it. It's true, a moment in world history where the elders were actually cool.

• r51785
    r51785

Five years, right out of high school.

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

From 1989 to 1994 - Five years. I worked so hard at it too, conducted several studies, brought people in the truth. And it was all a scam.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

I started pioneering in 1985. I did it until I was accepted into Bethel in March of 1987.

Jeff S.

• arachnia
    arachnia

Auxillary pio'd the summer after graduation, started regular pioneering in September that year, attended pioneer school, had to quit after one year because I needed health insurance. I had some surgery earlier that year for a growth that the doctor was concerned might eventually turn cancerous, so it *really* wasn't an option to go without. Try telling that to the elders who met with me to tell me what a failure I was because I was quitting after only a year, though. I was happy to point out to them that both of them had insurance, as well as the daughter of one (he was our PO incidentally) who had been enlisted as my "big sister" some years back to study weekly with me etc. So it was difficult for me to accept their reasoning that "many pioneers forgo medical insurance to put kingdom interests first and rely on Jah to provide." I was like, "are YOU going to pay my bills if I go in the hospital?" Needless to say, my bad attitude was duly noted. ;) I auxillary pioneered for a few months afterwards but somehow couldn't maintain my enthusiasm. Did I mention, this all hit me at the same time as my grandfather died from leukemia? He was like a father to me. Nice loving sensitivity they demonstrated, huh? Well I'm rambling from a lack of food and a lot of bitterness so I'll end it here. ;)

• Makena1
    Makena1

"Vacation pioneered" for two months after graduating high school, and regulared for one year, August 1973 to August 1974. Exciting times - pulling out the bible at Matt 24 and showing anyone who would listen that Armageddon was just months away.LOL

I did not fulfill my "vow" to get 1200 hours for the year. Got engaged and had to look for full time employment. I remember a few pious elders reading me the riot act for not putting off the wedding long enough to complete the hour requirement. One even told me that Jehovah might withhold some of his spirit and blessing on my marriage???!!! I was way too indoctrinated and "humble" back then to tell them where to get off. Well almost 30 years later, I am still married to that same wonderful lady, and our networth has gone up substantially since we stopped attending.

I aux pioneered many times after the one year of regular. Honestly, with the exception of street witnessing, the happiest times I had in the ministry was when I was pioneering, using the bible, debates with return visits and conducting studies.

All best,

Mak

• Free2Bme
    Free2Bme

Regular Auxiliary straight from school because there wasn't an option unless you wanted to be classed as weak. Our elders made no bones about education being a no-no and I don't know one youngster who dared to defy them in the 20 years I attended.
    So it was a shock to us pioneering pals when we started associating occasionally with our peer group in another city...they were all busy studying for A-levels and degrees with future careers all planned and a perfectly healthy attitude to weekend witnessing and doing their bit informally - hey how else could those worldly students get witnessed to? I was pretty gutted but still too scared to just do it so I carried on pioneering till I couldn't stand it anymore.
    I must say though I enjoyed those times very much and we had a close, happy gang. Everyone was genuine even if the hours got fiddled a bit with 10 mile hikes between RV's and slotting a sample mag in a neighbours door before setting off for the group..
    The one thing I regret is the attitude we had to other youngsters who went into FT work..we showed our disapproval by excluding them from outings and get-togethers considering them worldly. Who did we think we were?? One of my best friends to this day is one of those girls and I know she had a real hard time trying to associate socially with her own age and was pretty lonely.SORRY.

Free

Edited by - Free2bme on 31 July 2002 18:57:18

• ballistic
    ballistic

Hey, hey wait for me!

I aux pioneered in all my school holidays after being baptised at 13. As soon as I left school, I regular pioneered in rural territory mainly on my own. When I pioneer partner moved to town, we started having fun. We used to give eachother a random word, say such as 'womb' or 'disestablishmentarianism' to fit into each presentation.

haha! I'm almost dying with laughter just remembering it all.

• kat7302
    kat7302

I was baptized in the July of .......trying to work it out!.............79..I was 11...I pioneered the next month and kept it up on and off until I was 15! God I was a good example to other youths!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit