The 1975 date ... again ... sorry :o(

by Dizzy Cat 16 Replies latest jw friends

• truth1
    truth1

Actually, they DID promise Jehovah said it in the Awake! magazine forward section before 1995. They said Jehovah promised it. Therefore, false prophets theyare

• minimus
    minimus

anybody that lived in the late 60's and 70's knew that to ignore all the publications, all the governing body talks, all the traveling overseers it would mean that either you were considered weak or "not of our sort".

• Mary
    Mary

There was only one brother in our Hall before '75 who stated publically that he did not think The End was coming in '75 because the BIBLE (gasp!) said it would come "as a thief in the night", when no one was expecting it. If everyone was expecting it in 75, then the bible would be wrong.

Needless to say, he was virtually shunned for his "independent thinking" both before AND after 1975. Before, he obviously was "lacking in faith", and after the fiasco, he obviously had been "running ahead of the Organization" with his "independent thinking".

While it was never stated 100% that The End WAS coming in the Fall of '75, there was a pretty damn good indication from the GB (who supposedly have a direct telephone link to God) that it would. One of the best examples of that was in the May 1974 (I think) Kingdom Ministry where it stated "....reports are coming in that brothers are selling their homes and businesses to finish out the remaining months of this System of Things in the full-time ministry!" or something like that. The very fact that they thought this was such a wonderful thing and provided NO caution to the brothers whatsoever, shows clearly that they were encouraging the idea.......it wasn't a few Witnesses who dreamed this crap up, it came from the top.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Or was it just rumours amongst the brothers ?

ah....They used to tell me that. But "AHA!!!", I found out that was NOT true.

The earliest one I could find in my CD ROM is a Watchtower article in 1966. And they went on and on for years until 1976. And they said that the people misunderstood them. Misunderstood my foot!!!! ):-(

• onacruse
    onacruse

Check out AlanF's comprehensive list of WTS refs at http://www.watchthetower.com , under "What about 1975?"

Craig

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Any new predictions coming up so I can change my icon??

• proplog2
    proplog2

If you were a JW in 1966-1975 you knew what a "marked year" was. 1914 was a marked year. So was 1975. Karl Klein told me that they were kidding Fred Franz right up to the summer of 1975. In effect they were asking Franz "Where is this promised Armageddon?" To which Fred replied "Well, it isn't fall yet!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit