DID YOU EVER RAT ON SOMEBODY???

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The congregation was always being told to root out any person who was engaged in wrongdoing. If it was a best friend or even a family member, you were to inform the elders so that they could look into the matter and investigate any possible sin. The elders pretty much told the brothers that those knowing of a sin and not reporting it were as guilty as the person that actually sinned! How many fell for this tactic?

• noidea
    noidea

Nope..not once did I rat anyone out..besides, if I did there was usually much more to tell on me. I liked to call it covering my own a$$.

• Lapuce
    Lapuce

Yes I did rat on two occasions when I used to be a goodie-goodie, but since I'm slowly but surly on my way to being DF'ed I guess I can post it eh???

The two occasions where on brothers which where smoking (well trying to hide it ). I know know that they wern't df'ed though, but were considered bad company by the elders.

Lapuce

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Never...and I had plenty of dirt to dish...I always thought it was petty and stupid, and that if the Elders were so damn smart they should be able to see things for themselves. Not to mention I never felt that overwhelming urge to tell on sister-so-and-so so she could get help. I figured she could do what was right for her.

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Nope. I don't believe in judging others. I had enough to clean up in my own head to bother with the activities of others.

Now, as a Mom - I HAVE called the police on 2 occasions when I overheard the kids talking about a huge fight planned at a certain place that may include weapons. Even they don't know I called. But that is something I couldn't have on my conscience if it occured and a kid was injured or died 'cos I kept my mouth shut. The police DID show up and broke those 'gatherings' up before harm was done btw.

Mimilly

• scumrat
    scumrat

Nope,I never ratted anyone out. I was ratted on twice.

• minimus
    minimus

How appropriate that scumRAT would comment...lol

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

<----- was ratted out

...and not in the manner that the scriptures say re: going to the person first.
    when i stopped attending meetings, my wanna be elder-ette "best friend" pried and pried me for info on my situation under the guise of "showing love and support". I dodged her pointed nosey questions for quite a long time, but she was very direct and in my efforts to not lie to her, i did once kind of allude to the nature of my situtation. she wasted no time in going to the elders and working with them to basically try and entrap me. the entrapment thing didn't really work...only pissed me off to see such blatant evidence that they feel the end justifies the means.

oh well, i was already well on my way out and was only stalling to buy myself some time for further decision making. she and her elder heroes just helped me decide faster. they also helped me learn how to respond in future to people that stick their nose where it don't belong.

some people will stoop to great lows to draw attention away from their own failings.

c'est la vie.

• r51785
    r51785

No, I was never a member of the "Spiritual Stasi."

• LDH
    LDH

Only once.....during the committee proceedings for me to be df'd at 19, when they told me that if I was covering over any wrongdoing Jehovah would view that as being unrepentant and I would definitely be cast out!

The way they phrased it was very tricky. I fell for it, and ratted out everyone.

I was then chastised by the said committee, who reminded me that is why I must be df'd, I had been hiding all of this wrongdoing! And OBVIOUSLY I wasn't repentant because they had to coax it out of me, they told me I should have been voluntarily forthcoming.

BTW, it didn't matter, no one that I ratted on admitted to anything anyway. They flat out denied it.

NEVER AGAIN.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit