Question from a newbie

by scorpionking 13 Replies latest jw friends

• scorpionking
    scorpionking

Thanks everybody for replying! I was disfellowshipped because somebody saw me smoking a joint outside my house and told the elders.They wanted to talk to me about it but I never showed up so they disfellowshipped me.If I had wanted to I could have gone to them and told them I was repentant and all that but I didn't,knowing full well they would disfellowship me.The reason I chose not to show up anymore(with the elders or at the meetings)was I felt too controlled.I felt suffocated and restricted.I was only 19 and I couldn't handle that.Nobody from my old congregation talks to me anymore but my mother still speaks to me like nothing ever happened.In fact,the elders told her there was nothing wrong with her talking to me cuz I was immediate family.My wife's a witness and the elderly lady who studied with her talks to me like we're old friends...and she's been in the truth over 50 years!The reason I believe it's the truth is cuz no other religion or philosophy satisfactorily answers questions I have like: "why are we here? why are things getting worse and worse? why are there so many wars? why are people so miserable and depressed? why are families falling apart? why do we yearn for peace and living forever?"Anyway I truly feel for all of you who feel damaged by the WTS.Thanks for replying!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

The reason I believe it's the truth is cuz no other religion or philosophy satisfactorily answers questions I have like: "why are we here? why are things getting worse and worse? why are there so many wars? why are people so miserable and depressed? why are families falling apart? why do we yearn for peace and living forever ?"
    There are other religions that answer those questions too...your universe has been too small and closed.... how will you know unless you seek...

• Xander
    Xander

You realize...the only questions they alone can answer is because THEY made up the question?

why are we here?

#1 Who cares?

#2 A LOT of religions can answer that. In fact...ALL of them...

why are things getting worse and worse?

This is a 'made up' one. Things are only getting 'worse and worse' according to them and other apocalyptic religions.

When has the human life span been longer? When has the average standard of living been higher? When has healthcare ever been as good? When have humans explored near as far and made the environment safe for habitation? (I mean, really, are people eaten by lions anymore?) When has crime been the lowest ever in human history? (I mean, hell, how worried about raiding Mongol hordes ARE you!?!?)

why are there so many wars?

Another 'made up' one.

Really?

When was the last? (Okay, okay, this whole Afghanistan thing probably counts).

When was the last Hundred Years war? When was the last Spanish Inquisition? Have you READ details from the US Civil War? The brutality of THAT war dwarfs ANY modern war several times over.

When did all these happen? Before 1914? Why, yes, they did....

why are people so miserable and depressed?

Another 'made up' one.

Surveys seem to show that people are, generally, perfectly happy these days.

why are families falling apart?

Another 'made up' one - but one several other religions do use!

Define 'falling apart' for one!

Does a family 'fall apart' when it fails to live up to the religions preconceived idea of 'functional'? Is divorce REALLY a 'failure' when both parties can part amicably and move on with other, healthy, relationships?

NO!

why do we yearn for peace and living forever?

Simple evolution -> living forever = greater chance to spread genetic code (our most basic desire)

Edited by - Xander on 30 July 2002 22:9:31

• Xander
    Xander

I'd add, of course, for every question they CAN answer (even made up ones), there are dozens they CANNOT answer with anything better than "Well, I don't know, we'll just have to wait on Jehovah". And, of course, there are some they can't answer at ALL.

For example:

1) How will the population be controlled in the new system? I mean, if we are all perfect, there will be a terrific population explosion since no one will be dying off. Right? And, what of the whole resurrected being 'like the angels' thing. WTF does THAT mean? I mean, if the 'resurrected me' doesn't like sex, and has no interest in miltary history, and loves his neighbors, and doesn't even LOOK like me.....well, that's not really ME then, is it??

2) How can you explain away the viruses and insects that we can SEE evolving in laboratories? I mean, evolution DOES happen - we can WATCH it happen. And we continue to find ancient fossils proving what our DNA already tells us. So....uhhhhh....why keep arguing a lost cause?

2b) For that matter...who CREATED viruses?? They can't exist without infecting and destroying living cells. So, if god created them...how did they survive the time period when humans were perfect and immune to them? They couldn't reproduce, so....*eck*. OTOH, if god DIDN'T create them....who did? (The answer, of course, is above, but 'evolution' doesn't sit well with JWs, so they have kind of a hard time explaining this)

3) If the organization is being directed by god, how can they make mistakes so many times? (Such as: the failed prediction of 'the end' coming in 1975, the ban on vaccinations, the coverrups of the pedophile scandal, becoming an associated member of the UN!!, etc.)

Ah, too tired to keep going. I'm sure others can add to the list.

Edited by - Xander on 30 July 2002 22:18:57

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit