Children of murdered Charleston minister have "already forgiven" their Mother's killer.

by nicolaou 24 Replies latest social current

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I'm not judging these poor young people, if this is how they are coping with the trauma of losing their Mum I can only wish them well. I have to admit though that my jaw dropped when I first saw this interview, I couldn't square their reaction with what I understand as 'normal' human grief.

Is this religiously motivated form of forgiveness a positive thing? Should I acknowledge this as something to be said in favour of religion?

I don't think so, but I'd like to know what you think . .

http://youtu.be/fvFEz-0kr9U

• sir82
    sir82

My 2 cents:

It strikes me as pretty easy to say "I forgive him" when you know that your words will have absolutely no practical effect. The killer is still in custody, will still stand trial, will still be sentenced and (likely) executed.

It would be quite different to state "I forgive him" if, as a result those words, the killer would escape all accountability and punishment.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Its what christians are expected to say. Its biologically impossible to forgive so soon. Nor should they. With his confesion and all the evidance he should be executed today. They should have first shot, if they so desire.
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Children of murdered Charleston minister have "already forgiven" their Mother's killer.

I don't think so, but I'd like to know what you think . ....nicolaou

The kids are still in "Shock" they lost their mom..

They won`t be able to really "deal with it" right now..

Give them a year or 2..

I`d cut them a lot of slack after something like this..

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I do not believe that religiously motivated "forgiveness" is a good thing automatically. In this case, I would even question it and call it a bad thing, as the reporter seemed to question.

I am sure these young relatives of a victim were sincere with "Love is stronger than hate," but that's just a slogan. They are just saying that their love will overpower this man's hatred. They do this because they think it makes them look better in the community and the church and in the media. I don't think they need to return hatred for hatred, but I also don't think they need to express that they forgive this guy.

I probably would have said how I intend to voice my concerns to see that my loved one gets the justice they deserved.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I think they're saying what they think they're supposed to say. I think it's wrong, even from a religious point of view, to forgive such, unless maybe it's years later and the guy has had some genuine change of heart and shown genuine repentance. And even then, though forgiven, I think he should be at the very least incarcerated until he drops dead.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

I would,not be so quick to come to the conclusion that these people are just on "automatic" and not sincerely forgiving.

Unless we believe in some mambo-jumbo ourselves and claim we have ESP, we can't say we know what these people really feel.

Recall that this is a crime performed by someone who had a disrespect for these people's faith, enough to walk in, be welcomed by them, and sit through a study of the Bible with them before taking their lives, spilling their blood, and accusing them of rape and ruining the country. Innocent lives were taken. Parents and grandparents were slaughtered. This was an animal who did this, who had no respect for different views, conditions or race. Regardless if we claim a religion or not, can't we find it in our heart not to presume upon ourselves that are views are so enlightened that the convictions of others are no genuine. Or are we no better than this disgusting killer? I know all of you are.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2
    Their forgiveness s a way of coping. Of course its a good thing. Nobody can sit in judgement of their reaction, they are the ones that just had a loved one gunned down.
  • talesin
    talesin

"I feel a lot, a lot of love. I'm a little bitter, but it's just ... I'm overwhelmed with love."

That is what the daughter said, and it sums up my feelings on this. It's not healthy. They are good preacher's kids (I mean that), and putting on a brave face, believing what their mother taught. But, the true feelings of rage and pain are being suppressed, and if not dealt with, these feelings will turn into a LOT of bitter with time.

xx

• freein2004
    freein2004
    I agree their feelings are probably suppressed right now. It will take them some time to process this. Incredibly sad!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit