The Demon of Saskatchewan

by RunningMan 10 Replies latest jw friends

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Last week, I came across an unusual tidbit of JW folklore that I had all but forgotten. After a brief discussion of provincial politics with my mother, she made the comment (regarding our provincial Premier) that every time a government is elected, Satan appoints a demon to oversee and direct it.

Now, I'm not sure if this is unique to JWs, but the idea is based on the following scripture:

"But the prince of the kingdom of Persia was withstanding me for twenty-one days; then behold, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I had been left there with the kings of Persia." Daniel 10:13

In this scripture, an angel is speaking to Daniel, so it is assumed that the kingdom of Persia, must also be a spirit creature. JWs have extrapolated the idea that every kingdom has its own demonic guide. This is a rather old concept, which appears to remain on the books, but may not be used much anymore.

Now this raises a few questions:

1. I am curious about the logistics of this demon guidance. Is it necessary for the government leader to hold a seance to get his instructions? If so, how often must it be held? Or, does the demon visit his office periodically? Does he make an appointment? It would be rather embarrassing to have the Prince of Evil sitting in your waiting room, flipping through old magazines.

2. I had assumed that this applied only to national governments, but my mother (who is much more knowledgeable in these areas) assures me that it also applies to provincial (and, I assume state) governments. But, why stop there? Is there a demon appointed to school boards, city councils, and municipalities? Does the dogcatcher get his own demon, too? Does my son's high school student council get a demon?

3. Do bigger governments get bigger demons?

4. Do the ruling demons ever get together for conferences - like the G8? If so, that must be one hell of a party (pardon the pun).

5. Is it acceptable for a Witness to accept assistance from (welfare, unemployment insurance, pension, policing, education, etc) or work for a government that is run by demons? If so, how does this differ from working for a church or the military? Are those demons less acceptable than regular civil servant demons?

6. What kind of a moron could actually take this stuff seriously?

My sister is quite well acquainted with our former Premier. I have asked her to pose these questions for me.

Edited by - RunningMan on 29 July 2002 15:58:16

• roybatty
    roybatty

Their own personal demon, eh? Dam, those in politics get all the fun stuff.

• Scully
    Scully

Saskatchewan Premier Lorne Calvert

Actually, RM, Premier Calvert practically ADMITS to having demonic assistance on the Province of Saskatchewan's website. Check this out:

http://www.gov.sk.ca/govinfo/premier/

"Wherever I travel throughout Saskatchewan, I meet people who care about their families, about their neighbours, and about their communities, and who believe that by pulling together we can accomplish good things. I call this notion of caring and working together the "Spirit of Saskatchewan." Evidence of this spirit is everywhere."

Very very clever of praising the demon that guides him in this manner!!

I guess your mom is right after all!

Love, Scully
    Tongue in Cheek Class

• metatron
    metatron

Demons running Canada?

Last time I visited Toronto, it didn't look like a Hieronymous
    Bosch painting. Maybe the demons got bored and left for Los Vegas.

metatron

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

This particular politician is going to have a difficult situation very soon. He is a Baptist minister.

So, when the beast (politics) turns on the harlot (religion), he will be forced to denounce and destroy himself. That should be interesting.

• Scully
    Scully

RunningMan:
    "This particular politician is going to have a difficult situation very soon. He is a Baptist minister.
    So, when the beast (politics) turns on the harlot (religion), he will be forced to denounce and destroy himself. That should be interesting."

This sounds like it has all the makings of a made-for-TV movie. Tell me when to get the popcorn ready. :)

Love, Scully

• Xander
    Xander

And if he runs a small business on the side?

Would he then survive turning on himself long enough to bemoan his loss?

Wow - Revelation IS a lot more interesting when you apply it to the modern day!

• barry
    barry

This post sounds just like Buffy the vampire slayer
    Barry

• 4skins
    4skins

Residents of the US White House have long been known to have discussions with dead presidents. Adolf Hitler claimed to have spoken face to face with his "green man". And adventurere, Cecil Rhodes after retuning to South Africa from Britian where he committed his wealth to a secret Anglophile agenda was scared wittless when he met his "green man".

• The_Bad_Seed
    The_Bad_Seed
    Demons running Canada?

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit