Do you love people more now that you're out?

by writerpen 30 Replies latest jw friends

• writerpen
    writerpen

I was thinking about this the other day. Since I've left the borg, I find myself loving other humans more. Like all the little children being abducted, the miners trapped in the mine last week, the victims of car accidents that I pass on the road, a woman crying in the car next to me while waiting for the green light, the homeless that I see every weekend at a local soup kitchen where I volunteer, etc. Added to that the joy I feel in my heart when I see people succeed like a woman that I barely know getting a new job, reading in the newspaper of an older couple who are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary, seeing a newborn baby, etc.

As a Witness, I never understood what it meant to "love people." It was always noted that "we were in the door to door activity because we love people," but I never felt the love for people that I do now. All of the abovementioned examples just makes me cry at the grief that people are faced with. I get so choked up when I see these things. But I also find myself shedding tears of joy for people that are experiencing the joys of life. As a dub, my emotions were so hard and the only time I may have gotten choked up is if it were another dub facing hard times, but even rarely then.

Do you find you love people more, now that you are out? And do JWs really understand what it feels like to "love people?"

• Englishman
    Englishman

YES!

Englishman.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

writerpen, I agree with you.

I remember when I was pre-studying a WT mag with some JWs. A question was raised,"How can we show our love to our neighbors?" At that time the best answer was,"Preach and offer a Bible study." I was expecting, "Help them if they need any immediate assistance."

It seemed like, "if you are not in the organization, you don't deserve our love". I had a problem with that. I didn't and still don't think it's fair.

After leaving the org., I feel much closer to my family members and the people in general. I won't take anything for granted. My priority surely changed.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I was always pretty open to accepting and dealing with people as they were, even as a Witness.

I think since leaving that ability to love a person as they are has simply grown. And I REALLY like that.

You asked do JWs know what it feels like to love people? Some do, certainly. But I also think it's an easy place to rationalize unloving and superior behavior on the basis of Witness theology. "Agape" love - I'm showing love for you by knocking on your door and leaving you this tract. You reject the tract, you reject my love. Nice and easy - no nasty real emotions and actual involvement with people necessary.

S4

• kat7302
    kat7302

Im not sure whether I love people more really. When I left the Borg I trusted everyone and that didnt quite work out but I still cant shake that off.......I naturally trust everyone but the love thing...i think my personality has always made me that way anyway. Thats the problem I guess, when you leave, its really hard to work out what bits of you really are you and what bits are they way they are because of the Borg. Loving people is a good quialty though so either way, keep it up

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

I agree, my heart has become bigger since I walked away.

• Fire Dragon
    Fire Dragon

Not only do I love them more, but I find that I am less judgemental. All the dubs say they don't judge but that's bullswhollup!

-Fire

• queer_reality
    queer_reality

Absolutely.

A friend once said to me,"You're not prejidiced, you hate everyone."

This was in reference to how I felt about different groups of people.

I felt that this was very insiteful.

--a recovering misanthrope

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

YES!!

• rekless
    rekless

I don't know if it is love them more or have stopped being so condescending and self-righteous.

I now just look at people as humans with frailties, god knows I have frailties. I do know when I ask a person how they are I truly mean it now, because I am not trying to sell abook or mag.

I am more tolerant and friendly as well as out going now.

I was a religious hermit crab.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit