Let The Dead Bury The Dead

by Larry 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Larry
    Larry

Yesterday was the first time me or anybody else visited my father's grave site - He died in 1977. He was a non-jw and never liked the them, but he liked the fact that my mother was. Ironically, I think he died the same day as Nathan Knorr. Anyway, this experience has helped me to see the real meaning of 'Showing Respect.' Back in the Borg day - I can recall folks on the job telling me they visited a grave site and I was saying 'What a waste of time, they can't acknowledge you - As the scripture says 'Let The Dead Bury The Dead.' NOW I know why folks do it - 'Out of Respect,' just to name a few reasons. That was a moment I really needed to experience. Did anybody ever have that expereince - Visiting a grave site after you left the Borg?

Peace - LL :)

• Fire Dragon
    Fire Dragon

I haven't had it yet, but I plan to visit my maternal Grandmother's grave soon. I'm looking forward to it. I often 'talk' to her now...something I never would have done as a dub.

No one ever dies as long as they are remembered. There are a lot of dead among the dubs.

-Fire

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Larry

I think that we visit the dead for OURSELVES to bring a sort of closure and to help us heal. We may even talk to the dead loved one, but we know deep down that they can't hear us. But still we do what makes US feel better, placing flowers, candles, etc. at their grave.

Saying that visiting the dead is a waste of time is just one more way in which the Watchtower interferes with natural grief and human emotion. Get out in service, it will take your mind off your troubles.....yeah, right.

Free

• abbagail
    abbagail

I think it's sweet what you described, Larry, and if it allows you the "space" to show that respect for your dad, then by all means, enjoy visiting his grave. I went to several funerals when a JW, JW funerals and worldly relatives (I did sit in the waiting area, though, while the priest was doing his thing at my brother's funeral). And at my grandmother's graveside funeral, I did not join in mouthing the Lord's Prayer. But being at the gravesites themselves didn't bother me (as far as WT guilt) because I guess I felt funerals were an OK thing to do for family, and I "knew" the dead were peacefully asleep but they "would be back"!

As far as graveyards in general, I always liked them, as a dub and now. Usually they are well manicured, beautiful places, nice and quiet, lots of trees, birds and sunshine on a pretty day. As an apartment dweller, I always wanted to take a lounge chair and a good book and go to a graveyard just for the peacfulness, quietness, and to be alone in the out of doors, as long as the Ax-Man didn't jump up behind me... ;)

(if you go to a public park to sit and read, too many people around).

Are graveyards private property in the sense you could not go sit with a loungechair and read a good book all day? That's the only reason I never did it, 'cuz I was afraid they would run me off...

As far as that scripture goes, I would think anything taken to an extreme would be the point. Naturally, Jehovah knows people need to be buried/tended to when they die. But if we grieved incessantly forever about it, and became obsessed with grave visiting, maybe that's what Jesus meant. Guessing here...

Grits

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit